City of Delafield - About 100 citizens braved bitterly cold temperatures Tuesday to attend a candidates forum at Christ the King Lutheran Church where four candidates in the Feb. 18 mayoral primary election discussed a wide range of city issues.
The candidates are Alderperson Michele De Yoe and Jeff Krickhahn, former Alderman Al Zietlow and Lake Welfare Committee Chairman Kent Attwell. The two candidates winning the largest number of votes in the primary election will face off in the April 1 municipal election.
The forum was sponsored by the citzens group, A Better Delafield, and the forum was moderated by representatives of the Milwaukee County League of Women Voters.
The sharpest disagreements among the candidates came over the issues of economic development, dredging Lake Nagawicka, and creating a lake management district.
De Yoe and Krickhahn voiced opposition to the Zietlow's proposal that a lake management district be formed. He suggested the special taxing district would be the best way to preserve and protect the lake and end the bickering between lake and non lake residents in the city.
Zietlow, however, expressed reservations about the Attwell's suggestion that the city attempt to attract light industrial and low impact commercial developments because they would be compatible with the city's rural residential environment but help increase the tax base.
Zietlow suggested the city be cautious about recruiting any new development because sometimes the taxpayers costs to provide service to commercial districts is greater than the taxes generated by the businesses.
- Highway 16 interchange plans revised (0)
- Arrowhead annual meeting on Wednesday (0)
- Tree falls on power lines in Mukwonago (0)
- Bluegrass festival volunteers needed in East Troy (0)
- Phones and internet down at Lake Country/MyCommunityNow (0)
- Oconomowoc woman accused of selling, using heroin (0)
- Pewaukee School District approves tax levy (0)
- Chenequa approves November levy referendum (0)
- Mukwonago Chief hosts 125th Birthday Party tomorrow (0)
- Design materials free for reuse at Green Design (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts