I am what many would call a "Foodie" - amateurs who simply love food and/or drink for consumption, study, preparation and news.
Now the statement above should make it clear that I do not have any formal training when it comes to food preparation. I have, however, been told that I am a pretty good cook and I hope you enjoy reading this column as much as I enjoy writing it.
Follow me on twitter @Cooks_CornerLCP
This next recipe is one my mother-in-law Helena used to make during the holidays. She called them Dolly Madison bars, but whatever the name, call them delicious. With chocolate chips, coconut, evaporated milk and more, you can’t go wrong.
7 layer cookie bar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted (salted or unsalted)
1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped (walnuts also work, but I prefer my bars nut free)
1 cup shredded coconut (see helpful hints)
1 (12-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Melt the butter and pour into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Pour the graham cracker crumbs over butter and pat down to form an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, pecans and coconut in the order listed, sprinkling in an even layer. For the final layer, drizzle the can of sweetened condensed milk over the entire dish.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the top is nice and golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
When adding the coconut and evaporated milk, try to keep a thinner layer around the edges to keep them from burning. I used already prepared graham cracker crumbs but found myself just short of the 1½ cups, so I added ¼ cup quick cooking oats to the crust and they turned out great.
- With braces comes a Ninja: Fruit and yogurt smoothies (0)
- It’s warming up, why not grill: Honey Garlic Grilled Salmon (0)
- Recipes and samples always welcome: Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna (0)
- A little comfort please: Cube steak with onion gravy (0)
- This one is for you Ms. Hollinger: The ultimate Greek salad (0)
- If you like lasagna, you’ll love this: Baked Ziti (0)
- Valentine's Day screams for chocolate: Triple Layer Brownie Cake (0)
- What's in a name: 7 Layer Cookie Bar (0)
- When in a pinch, use what’s on hand: Spiced Potatoes (0)
- The game will go on: Chicken Club Brunch Ring (0)
- More Cook's Corner posts