Medical examiners for Shawn Witt are requesting more time to determine whether the 27-year-old man is competent to stand trial in the shooting death of his father.
There were no objections to the request. Court Commissioner Thomas Pieper ordered that Shawn Witt be transported to a proper facility for in-patient treatment and examination.
Witt is accused of slaying his father James Witt Jr. on Tuesday, Jan. 21, at their shared home at 34825 Elm St. in Summit. According to the criminal complaint, police found the 60-year-old man’s body in the home after being asked to check on his well-being.
Shawn Witt admitted in the complaint to shooting his father with a rifle, but said it was done in self-defense. However, no evidence was found to suggest that James Witt had attacked his son, the complaint states.
Shawn Witt is being held on a $1 million cash bail and faces life in prison if convicted of first-degree intentional homicide. He has also been charged with possession of narcotic drugs, two counts of misdemeanor theft, two counts of violating a temporary restraining order, and two counts of misdemeanor bail jumping.
He is being represented by attorneys Anthony Rosario and Jorge Frogoso. They requested at a Feb. 7 court hearing that Witt’s mental competency be reviewed.
He is next expected in court on Wednesday, March 26.
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007