I am what many would call a "Foodie" - amateurs who simply love food and/or drink for consumption, study, preparation and news.
Now the statement above should make it clear that I do not have any formal training when it comes to food preparation. I have, however, been told that I am a pretty good cook and I hope you enjoy reading this column as much as I enjoy writing it.
Follow me on twitter @Cooks_CornerLCP
I have to admit I can get a little carried away with some of the decadent recipes I put in my column. But in my defense, who doesn’t want to try all of those over the top recipes we come across (Valentine day’s triple layer chocolate cake) at least once? With that said, I will try to incorporate a few more healthy alternatives to Cook’s Corner starting today with a tasty Greek salad.
The ultimate Greek salad
6 tablespoons olive oil (maybe cut in half)
1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (do not substitute)
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 3)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1 head Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
3 large plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 English cucumber, peeled and coarsely chopped (see helpful hint)
1 medium red onion, cut into thin rings and soaked for 5-10 minutes in a small bowl of ice water to cut the bite
1 small green pepper, cut into thin rings
¾ cup Kalamata olive (may substitute black olives)
¾ cup crumbled feta cheese (reduced fat if you like)
Whisk dressing ingredients together until blended and set aside.
Drain the onion from the ice water and pat dry with paper towels and combine with all the salad ingredients, except cheese, in large bowl. Give the dressing a quick whisk before adding to the salad, sprinkle with cheese and serve. Great with chicken too.
If you can’t find English cucumbers, use regular cucumbers. Just slice the cucumbers in half and drag a spoon down the center of each half to remove the seeds before chopping.
- Ree’s forgetfulness benefits us all: Coconut Curry Shrimp (0)
- Welcome to Miami: Cuban-style skirt steak with classic sour orange mojo (0)
- If you miss mashed potatoes, try this: Cauliflower Mash (0)
- Trying the low carb approach: Low Carb Pizza (0)
- A taste of Mexico: Camarones (shrimp) a la Mexicana (0)
- Rockin' ribs at Hideaway Bar & Grill: Potluck spareribs (0)
- Thanks for nothing: Easy Breaded Chicken (0)
- The kids are back in town: Pasta with basil cream sauce (0)
- What's for dinner? Pan grilled pork chops with a thyme mushroom sauce (0)
- When it comes to seafood, crab is king: Crispy Crab Nuggets (0)
- More Cook's Corner posts