Lake Country Rotary and the Hartland Police Department recently partnered to purchase secure drug collection units for the Hartland Village Hall.
The drop boxes will allow residents to safely dispose of unused medication 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Police Chief Robert Rosch said the medication will be collected daily by the Hartland Police Department and incinerated by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency on an annual basis.
“If someone wants to drop off illegal drugs, they can do that, too,” Rosch said.
The MedReturn drug disposal unit looks similar to a mailbox, but is bolted to the floor and weighs 120 pounds, according to the company’s website. Each unit costs $695.
Residents are asked not to dispose of hazardous materials or items exposed to human bodily fluids, including syringes and inhalers.
The purchase is part of a larger effort being made by local, state and national authorities to prevent the abuse of prescription medication and to protect local waterways from contamination.
Residents were invited in April to participate in a national drug disposal day, with collection sites located in Pewaukee, Oconomowoc, Mukwonago, Waukesha and Menomonee Falls.
On Friday, May 16, the Hartland Police Department partnered with Arrowhead High School to host a drug disposal site at the Mullet Ice Center. According to the school, a total of 319 pounds of drugs were collected and more than half of residents were first-time contributors.
“People don’t know what to do with this stuff, but now they have a safe way to dispose of it,” Rosch said.
- Hensler's granddaughter dies in tragic beach accident (0)
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007