While firing up the grill, soaking in some fireworks, or cheering on a water ski team this Memorial Day, take a moment to think about the various wars America has fought and the numerous casualties we have suffered. Regardless of the provocation or politics behind each conflict, we owe our thanks to the service men and women who bear the brunt of decisions made thousands of miles away. To the lost, the injured, and those out on the battlefield today, let us salute them with a raised beer, a steamy brat, and a darned spectacular fireworks show.
Memorial Day activities in Lake Country include:
- Veteran's Festival at Village Park in Pewaukee, 4 to 11 p.m. Friday, noon to 11 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday.
- Ceremony and service hosted by the Genesee VFW Post 5270, 1 p.m. Sunday at the War Memorial at Genesee Town Park.
- A brat fry open to the public at St. John's UCC in Merton, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday.
- Presentations throughout Dousman by the American Legion Post 405 (see the Weekend Happenings blog for details).
- The Pewaukee Lake Water Ski Club show, 5:30 p.m. Monday, at Pewaukee Beach.
- Parades: 10 a.m. Monday in Pewaukee, starting at Pewaukee High School; and 10 a.m. Monday in Merton, starting at Fireman's Park.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts