Taking part in the Brookfield Central WIAA Division 1 sectional at Wanaki Golf Course Monday, the varsity boys golf teams at Arrowhead and Kettle Moraine both qualified for next week's WIAA state meet at University Ridge in Madison on Monday and Tuesday. Only the top teams from each sectional earn state meet berths.
Arrowhead won the team title with 293 strokes. KM and Brookfield East tied for second at 298, forcing a 10-man playoff. KM and East tied on the first hole with four-man scores (4 of 5 scores count for each team) of 20. On the second playoff hole, KM defeated East by a 17-19 score.
However, the meet didn't end there as some controversy arose after the second playoff hole. KM junior Eric O'Neil was questioned by tournament officials on whether he violated a rule prior to his second shot on the first playoff hole.
After tournament directors contacted the WIAA and Wisconsin State Golf Association officials, it was finally decided, after more than an hour of discussion, that O'Neil had not violated any rules, thus giving KM the second state berth.
Arrowhead senior Mike Sorenson was medalist for the day, shooting a round of 1-under-par 70. Other AHS scores were Steve Sorenson 73, Matt Ross 73, Sam Weber 77 and Clayton Jones 90.
KM senior Sam Frank was second with an even-par round of 71. Other KM scores were Mike Cabush with 74, Ryan Franklin 76, Nic Johnson 77 and O'Neil 78.
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Coffee with a Cop in Mukwonago Thursday (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts