It's that golden time of the year when the bitter cold is far behind us and the thick summer humidity has yet to weigh us down. The days are warm and mild, the nights have a comfortable spring snap, and greenery is bursting everywhere we look. There are several events this weekend that take advantage of the weather, so get outdoors and enjoy the blooming renewal of nature before the mosquitos get wind of our activities and hunt us down.
- All Wisconsin State Parks are open for free this Sunday, so enjoy a picnic or a hike at Lapham Peak, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Participate in a National Trails Day hike along the Ice Age Trail in Monches, 9:30 a.m. Saturday.
- The 4th annual Yellow Brick Road 5K Run/Walk & Kids Run begins at 8 a.m. Saturday, at Fowler Park in Oconomowoc.
Other fun outdoor activities:
- Gear up for festival season with live entertainment, a car show, a softball tournament and more during the Stone Bank Firefighter's Festival, 5 p.m. to midnight Friday and 8 a.m. to midnight Saturday, at Fireman's Park in Stone Bank.
- The Pewaukee Police and Fire Departments are hosting a Safety Day event featuring children's activities, food, and a soccer tournament, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, at Wagner Park.
- Help raise money for a wheelchair accessible van while enjoying live music, raffles, games and food at the Gerry Barwick Fundraiser, 5 p.m. Saturday, at the American Legion Post in Hartland.
More events are listed on the Weekend Happenings Blog.
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- Man charged with fleeing two-car crash in Men. Falls (0)
- Men. Falls woman charged with fifth drunken driving offense (0)
- MASD and Mukwonago SAVE present on bullying (0)
- Many paths to success available to Mukwonago students (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts