It's that golden time of the year when the bitter cold is far behind us and the thick summer humidity has yet to weigh us down. The days are warm and mild, the nights have a comfortable spring snap, and greenery is bursting everywhere we look. There are several events this weekend that take advantage of the weather, so get outdoors and enjoy the blooming renewal of nature before the mosquitos get wind of our activities and hunt us down.
- All Wisconsin State Parks are open for free this Sunday, so enjoy a picnic or a hike at Lapham Peak, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Participate in a National Trails Day hike along the Ice Age Trail in Monches, 9:30 a.m. Saturday.
- The 4th annual Yellow Brick Road 5K Run/Walk & Kids Run begins at 8 a.m. Saturday, at Fowler Park in Oconomowoc.
Other fun outdoor activities:
- Gear up for festival season with live entertainment, a car show, a softball tournament and more during the Stone Bank Firefighter's Festival, 5 p.m. to midnight Friday and 8 a.m. to midnight Saturday, at Fireman's Park in Stone Bank.
- The Pewaukee Police and Fire Departments are hosting a Safety Day event featuring children's activities, food, and a soccer tournament, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, at Wagner Park.
- Help raise money for a wheelchair accessible van while enjoying live music, raffles, games and food at the Gerry Barwick Fundraiser, 5 p.m. Saturday, at the American Legion Post in Hartland.
More events are listed on the Weekend Happenings Blog.
- Bell Tower meeting postponed (0)
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts