City of Oconomowoc - Graham Bartunek, 12, just wants to level the playing field.
He and his family are hoping to repeal an equipment prohibition that currently bans the use of tinted face shields in the AAYFL (All American Youth Football League), an accommodation that would allow the student athlete to compete despite his disability.
Born with a condition known as albinism, a defect of melanin production that results in little or no color (pigment) in the skin, hair, and eyes, and partially blind, Bartunek said the shield protects his skin and eyes that are especially sensitive to the sun.
City of Oconomowoc Park and Recreation Director Ray Mauer, said Wednesday morning that his department was working through the issue and hoped to have it resolved, on their end, by the end of the day.
“What we’re doing on the City’s behalf is talking with our attorney and insurance carrier so that it’s possible for Graham to use the tinted shield in practice,” he said.
“But it’s out of our hands if he can use it in the games,” Mauer said.
That ruling would have to be made by the AAYFL; the league is not run by the City.
Attempts to reach a representative of the AAYFL prior to deadline were unsuccessful.
“We’re caught in the middle of this,” he said.
- Drug drop off Sept. 27 (0)
- Mukwonago students skype with Shark Tank cast (0)
- Lisbon seeks temporary clerk (0)
- AHS homecoming parade moved to a Sunday (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves building modifications for new restaurant (0)
- Town of Merton considers municipal garbage/recycle contract (0)
- One last canoeing trip (0)
- Bark for Life comes to Field Park on Sept. 20 (0)
- Pewaukee CC teams win at Mayville (0)
- Kettle Moraine football team goes on impressive run to defeat Waukesha South (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007