Waukesha – A judge this afternoon approved settlements totaling more than $1 million for the two children who survived the horrific crash last year that took the life of a popular Oconomowoc High School principal.
Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Kathryn Foster signed off on minor compensatory settlements for Deborah Gibbs and Zachary Bella who were injured in the crash caused by former surgeon Mark Benson April 25, 2008.
Foster signed a settlement for Gibbs totaling $800,000 and for Bella totaling $250,000.
Benson, 56, of Town of Summit agreed earlier to pay $3,670,000 plus unspecified punitive damages to settle two lawsuits brought by the victims’ families.
Benson, who is serving a 30-year prison sentence, avoided a criminal trial when he entered no contest pleas to three counts of homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle, one count of injury by intoxicated use of vehicle, and one count of causing injury while under influence.
Benson was driving on Highway. 67 when his Cadillac Escalade struck the rear of Honda Accord, which was stopped in traffic on Highway 67 in the City of Oconomowoc.
Killed were Jennifer Bukosky, 39, of Town of Oconomowoc, her daughter, Courtney, and unborn child, Sophia. Zachary is Bukosky’s, and Gibbs was a friend of the family.
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- Man charged with fleeing two-car crash in Men. Falls (0)
- Men. Falls woman charged with fifth drunken driving offense (0)
- MASD and Mukwonago SAVE present on bullying (0)
- Many paths to success available to Mukwonago students (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts