Waukesha – A judge this afternoon approved settlements totaling more than $1 million for the two children who survived the horrific crash last year that took the life of a popular Oconomowoc High School principal.
Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Kathryn Foster signed off on minor compensatory settlements for Deborah Gibbs and Zachary Bella who were injured in the crash caused by former surgeon Mark Benson April 25, 2008.
Foster signed a settlement for Gibbs totaling $800,000 and for Bella totaling $250,000.
Benson, 56, of Town of Summit agreed earlier to pay $3,670,000 plus unspecified punitive damages to settle two lawsuits brought by the victims’ families.
Benson, who is serving a 30-year prison sentence, avoided a criminal trial when he entered no contest pleas to three counts of homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle, one count of injury by intoxicated use of vehicle, and one count of causing injury while under influence.
Benson was driving on Highway. 67 when his Cadillac Escalade struck the rear of Honda Accord, which was stopped in traffic on Highway 67 in the City of Oconomowoc.
Killed were Jennifer Bukosky, 39, of Town of Oconomowoc, her daughter, Courtney, and unborn child, Sophia. Zachary is Bukosky’s, and Gibbs was a friend of the family.
- Zoning for Delafield development approved (0)
- Highway 67 drivers, take note (0)
- MHS grads raise awareness for homeless vets (0)
- Waukesha County prescription drug collection set for April 26 (0)
- Nass set to run for re-election in 33rd assembly district (0)
- Delafield Mayor office hours (0)
- Find steady work at Manpower job fair (0)
- Join the Garden Adoption Program (0)
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts