Waukesha – A judge this afternoon approved settlements totaling more than $1 million for the two children who survived the horrific crash last year that took the life of a popular Oconomowoc High School principal.
Waukesha County Circuit Court Judge Kathryn Foster signed off on minor compensatory settlements for Deborah Gibbs and Zachary Bella who were injured in the crash caused by former surgeon Mark Benson April 25, 2008.
Foster signed a settlement for Gibbs totaling $800,000 and for Bella totaling $250,000.
Benson, 56, of Town of Summit agreed earlier to pay $3,670,000 plus unspecified punitive damages to settle two lawsuits brought by the victims’ families.
Benson, who is serving a 30-year prison sentence, avoided a criminal trial when he entered no contest pleas to three counts of homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle, one count of injury by intoxicated use of vehicle, and one count of causing injury while under influence.
Benson was driving on Highway. 67 when his Cadillac Escalade struck the rear of Honda Accord, which was stopped in traffic on Highway 67 in the City of Oconomowoc.
Killed were Jennifer Bukosky, 39, of Town of Oconomowoc, her daughter, Courtney, and unborn child, Sophia. Zachary is Bukosky’s, and Gibbs was a friend of the family.
- Audition for Mukwonago Village Players fall production (0)
- New Village Square issues in Delafield (0)
- Bell Tower meeting postponed (0)
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts