University Lake School sophomore Molly Seidel added to her growing collection of state titles with a win Saturday in the WIAA Division 3 cross country state meet at Ridges Golf Course in WIsconsin Rapids.
The defending state champion ran 14 minutes, 33 seconds over the 4,000-meter layout, a staggering 29 seconds better than second-place finisher Sarah McMahon of Colfax. She ran 14:37 last year when she won the meet as a freshman.
Since then, Seidel has accumulated state titles in the 1,600 and 3,200 meters during the track season. She became only the second runner to repeat the Division 3 title, joining Rachel Earney of Cochrane-Fountain City, who won in 1995 and 1996.
Ashley Beutler of New Glarus-Monticello won the D3 crown in 2004, then won Division 2 titles in 2006 and 2007. Beutler is only the second runner to win three titles, joining Stevens Point's Suzy Favor, a four-time winner and eventual Olympian.
Seidel becomes the 14th runner to win multiple titles at any level.
Lake Country Lutheran took 14th in the D3 meet, led by Helaina Marlow (74th, 17:10). Others on the state team were Sara Demman, Cassie Hopkins, Laura Tovar, Haley Luebke, Brittany Hollenbeck and Taylor Doyle.
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- Give a pint, get a pint at Mukwonago community blood drive (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts