University Lake School sophomore Molly Seidel added to her growing collection of state titles with a win Saturday in the WIAA Division 3 cross country state meet at Ridges Golf Course in WIsconsin Rapids.
The defending state champion ran 14 minutes, 33 seconds over the 4,000-meter layout, a staggering 29 seconds better than second-place finisher Sarah McMahon of Colfax. She ran 14:37 last year when she won the meet as a freshman.
Since then, Seidel has accumulated state titles in the 1,600 and 3,200 meters during the track season. She became only the second runner to repeat the Division 3 title, joining Rachel Earney of Cochrane-Fountain City, who won in 1995 and 1996.
Ashley Beutler of New Glarus-Monticello won the D3 crown in 2004, then won Division 2 titles in 2006 and 2007. Beutler is only the second runner to win three titles, joining Stevens Point's Suzy Favor, a four-time winner and eventual Olympian.
Seidel becomes the 14th runner to win multiple titles at any level.
Lake Country Lutheran took 14th in the D3 meet, led by Helaina Marlow (74th, 17:10). Others on the state team were Sara Demman, Cassie Hopkins, Laura Tovar, Haley Luebke, Brittany Hollenbeck and Taylor Doyle.
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- Gateway apartment development begins construction in Oconomowoc (0)
- Oconomowoc man accused of fifth OWI (0)
- Local talent in full bloom this summer (0)
- Business park proposed in Lisbon (0)
- Lisbon approves one convenience center, delays another (0)
- Meeting to discuss possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts