Town of Vernon – Authorities have released the identity of the man killed this morning in a crash on Cheri Avenue and the driver of that vehicle is facing possible criminal charges.
Michael Zippel, 23, of Town of Vernon, was riding in the back seat of a car when it went off Cheri Avenue near Sunset Drive, rolled over and hit a tree, according to a statement released by the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department.
Residents on the street reported to police they heard a loud noise and when they looked outside and saw lights and heard a woman asking for help. Police were called at 1:41 a.m. and the residents began to perform CPR on Zippel, who was unconscious and not breathing, according to the release.
Sheriff’s deputies and members of the Big Bend/Vernon Fire Department responded to the scene.
According to the statement, the car was westbound on Cheri Ave when the driver, a 20-year-old City of Waukesha man, lost control, left the road and drove into the ditch. The car rolled several times and struck a tree, causing the victim to be ejected from the vehicle. Zippel was riding in the back seat and was pronounced dead at the scene. A 19-year-old City of Waukesha woman, who was a passenger in the front seat, and the Waukesha man were taken to Froedtert Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The Sheriff’s Department will be recommending the District Attorney’s Office charge the man with homicide by intoxicated use of a vehicle, causing injury by intoxicated use of a vehicle and possession of marijuana.
The accident remains under investigation by the Sheriff’s Department.
- Bell Tower meeting postponed (0)
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts