Waukesha — Christmas Clearing Council of Waukesha County (CCC) is hoping the community will step up in the next week to help them in their quest to provide Christmas gifts to children in need in Waukesha County. Nearly 300 additional children will need help this year compared with last year – a total of more than 4,800 – due to the current economic crisis and an increase in applications from needy families.
“We still have about 950 children in our files to be sponsored. Sponsorship is a great way for people to help children in need directly through a personal connection with the family,” said Ruth Page Jones, CCC’s executive director. “Through sponsorship, we are able to make certain that a child gets that special gift that he or she has been wishing for. In many instances, children have requests for things the rest of us might take for granted like a warm coat or boots,” she added.
CCC is continuing to take calls from families and organizations that are interested in personally sponsoring a family through Tuesday, Dec. 15. Sponsorship includes purchasing toys and/or clothing for each child in a family for a suggested amount of $60 per child. Sponsors are given a family’s name and contact information to obtain information on the family’s needs and make arrangements to deliver the gifts to the family.
Families yet to be sponsored include the following examples:
- A single mother with three children ages 5, 6 and 1 1/2. The 5-year-old girl would like a Bratz doll and hair accessories. The mother is asking for toys and clothes for the two boys.
- A mother and father with reduced income are hoping for a bike and Thomas the Train toys for their 3-year-old son.
- A single mother with a 7-year-old daughter has requested movies, a Bratz doll and games for her daughter.
“It would be wonderful if families, businesses and organizations in the community could help us fulfill these children’s requests and call us to sponsor a family – there is still time. We are also asking people to consider donating new, unwrapped toys at one of our toy drop-off locations for those children for whom we don’t find sponsors,” said Jones.
Toy donations will be accepted until Dec. 16 at one of 75 CCC toy drop-off locations throughout the county. A complete list of toy drop-off locations can be found at www.christmasclearingcouncil.org.
Celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, CCC is a nonprofit group that matches needy families with individuals and groups who want to help on a person-to-person basis during the holiday season. Families who are not matched with sponsors are invited to CCC's annual Toy Shop, stocked with donated items, to shop for their children.
In 2008, more than 4,600 Waukesha County children from about 2,000 families experienced the joy of the holiday season because of the efforts of CCC and its volunteers, donors and sponsors. CCC was recently awarded honorable mention as the “Small Non-Profit of the Year” by the Waukesha County Executive’s office.
Those interested in sponsoring a family, toy drop-off locations or volunteering are encouraged to call CCC at (262) 549-NOEL (6635) or visit www.christmasclearingcoucil.org for more information.
- Christmas in Eagle Friday night (0)
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- Park snowmobiles until trails are ready (0)
- Waukesha County Sheriff's lieutenant under investigation (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007