A 41-year-old West Allis man was injured after the SUV he was in was hit by a train on Benson Road in the Town of Vernon in Waukesha County just before 10 a.m. Wednesday. His 5-year-old daughter who was a passenger in the vehicle was not injured.
According to Waukesha County Sheriff's Lieutenant Bill Doering the vehicle either stalled or the driver realized the road came to a dead end and he tried to back the SUV off the tracks, however, the tires spun and the driver could not get off the tracks before the train hit the SUV at a slow rate of speed.
The driver received injuries to his back and cuts to his face. He was not wearing a seatbelt. The child was sitting in a child seat but was not belted into the seat, Doering said.
The Big Bend-Vernon Fire Department responded to the scene and transported the occupants of the vehicle to Froedtert Memorial Hospital and Childrens Hospital.
- Closures expected on Highway 83 this weekend (0)
- Dock diving competition for dogs on Sunday, Aug. 24 (0)
- Storytime returns to OPL next month (0)
- Highway 16 interchange plans revised (0)
- Arrowhead annual meeting on Wednesday (0)
- Tree falls on power lines in Mukwonago (0)
- Phones and internet down at Lake Country/MyCommunityNow (0)
- Oconomowoc woman accused of selling, using heroin (0)
- Pewaukee School District approves tax levy (0)
- Chenequa approves November levy referendum (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts