A Waukesha County official said the private extradition company hired to transport accused murderer Justin Patrick Welch to Wisconsin, stopped at the public restroom in Arkansas, in clear violation of company policy, in response to complaints by Welch that he was in desperate need of a bathroom.
“Absolutely it was a setup. Absolutely,” said Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schimel.
“I believe his request to use the bathroom was linked to him perceiving he had some opportunity to escape,” he added.
A lone guard accompanied the five inmates into the restroom and was then stabbed, beaten and disarmed by Welch, who then used the guards key to rid himself of the leg restraints.
Welch fled the washroom, woke the second guard who was asleep in the van and shot at him before taking off with the vehicle.
Schimel was asked if that scenario suggested that Welch smuggled the weapon on to the van.
“We just don’t know. I have not seen any information to see where that (the weapon) came from,” he said.
Welch was captured just 30 miles west of where the escape occurred. He accepted a ride from a truck driver, and when Welch asked to stop at a store, the driver noticed a gun in a bag Welch had left inside the cab.
Authorities were notified and pulled the van over. Reports are that Welch reached for the bag, presumably to grab the weapon, but the driver foiled the attempt by grabbing the bag and tossing it out the window.
Welch was taken into custody without incident.
“I can’t believe he is back in custody without anyone being injured,” a relieved Schimel said.
- Schimel denies Butler cop's allegations (0)
- Another teenager charged in connection to weapons found at high school (0)
- Area schools thrive in recent DPI report card (0)
- Presentation of Salem Witch Trials on Oct. 22 (0)
- Car thefts spark sheriff's warning to protect property near Norris Adolescent Center (0)
- Hawkfest tomorrow (0)
- Children's book release party at OPL (0)
- Drug drop off Sept. 27 (0)
- Mukwonago students skype with Shark Tank cast (0)
- Lisbon seeks temporary clerk (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007