Waukesha – Under tight security, Justin P. Welch appeared in Waukesha County Circuit Court for allegedly killing a City of Oconomowoc woman Oct. 1.
Court Commissioner Martin Binn set bail at $2 million for Welch, 26, who is accused of killing Kimberly Smith, 39, in her home.
Welch was captured Jan. 13 in Oklahoma after he escaped in Arkansas while being transported from San Diego, Calif. Prosecutors say DNA from Welch was found on the knife that is believed to be the murder weapon and rubber gloves.
Smith’s former boyfriend and the father of her son, Darren Wold, 41, of Texas, is accused of hiring Welch, through his friend Jack E. Johnson, 65, of Mexico.
Binn called the murder of Smith “violent and gruesome.” He set the high amount for bail because Welch fled officers in Mexico and escaped security personnel in Arkansas that was extraditing him to Wisconsin. Those actions, Binn said, "cry out for a high bail.”
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts