The City of Oconomowoc Fire Department responded to a call at a 16-unit apartment building at 4:26 a.m. this morning at 204 W. Wisconsin Ave., where heavy smoke and fire was coming from a first floor unit on the west side of the building.
Two occupants trapped on the upper floors in the rear of the building were removed from the building by ladders.
One occupant was treated on the scene for minor smoke inhalation, no other injuries were reported.
The initial estimate of damage to the building and contents is $75,000, and the unit where the fire originated was heavily damaged and its contents destroyed. Heavy to light smoke damage was reported in the other apartments.
Red Cross was on the scene to assist the 12 impacted residents who were evacuated to the Oconomowoc Recreation center, one block west of the scene.
Fourteen of the 16 units were occupied, authorities noted.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, but remains under investigation.
- Booze and Belts campaign starts Dec. 13 (0)
- Hy. 83 accident causes delays (0)
- Early registration offered for St. Paul kindergarten (0)
- Update on armed robbery in Sussex (0)
- Armed robbery at Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Police surround Associated Bank in Sussex (0)
- Big Bend to host first holiday event Friday (0)
- Water clean-up close Lake Country Lutheran for the day (0)
- Mukwonago woman sentenced for $250k theft from Brookfield business (0)
- Sheriff's Department releases sketch of Town of Eagle suspect (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007