The City of Oconomowoc Fire Department responded to a call at a 16-unit apartment building at 4:26 a.m. this morning at 204 W. Wisconsin Ave., where heavy smoke and fire was coming from a first floor unit on the west side of the building.
Two occupants trapped on the upper floors in the rear of the building were removed from the building by ladders.
One occupant was treated on the scene for minor smoke inhalation, no other injuries were reported.
The initial estimate of damage to the building and contents is $75,000, and the unit where the fire originated was heavily damaged and its contents destroyed. Heavy to light smoke damage was reported in the other apartments.
Red Cross was on the scene to assist the 12 impacted residents who were evacuated to the Oconomowoc Recreation center, one block west of the scene.
Fourteen of the 16 units were occupied, authorities noted.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental, but remains under investigation.
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- Man charged with fleeing two-car crash in Men. Falls (0)
- Men. Falls woman charged with fifth drunken driving offense (0)
- MASD and Mukwonago SAVE present on bullying (0)
- Many paths to success available to Mukwonago students (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts