Waukesha – A court commissioner this morning found there was probable cause Darren M. Wold and Jack E. Johnson plotted to kill Wold’s former girlfriend, Kimberly Smith of the City of Oconomowoc Oct. 1.
Court Commissioner Martin Binn said testimony provided by the prosecution’s 14 witnesses and 19 pieces of evidence showed there was a “reasonable inference” the men probably caused the crime.
Johnson, 65, of Mexico, and Wold, 41, of Lubbock, Texas, are suspected in a murder-for-hire plot to have Smith, 39, killed. Justin P. Welch, 26, of Mexico, is suspected to have stabbed Smith multiple times in Smith’s home early Oct. 1.
Wold was upset over a custody dispute with Smith over their young son and according to testimony by a co-worker of Wold’s said wanted to see Smith dead.
Wold is accused of sending money to Johnson who allegedly financed Welch’s trip to Wisconsin from California.
Prosecutors used phone records and money transfers by Wold and Johnson to link the men to Welch. Welch’s DNA was found on the murder weapon, prosecutors say.
Wold’s attorney Anthony Rosario dismissed the prosecution’s case saying there needs to be “incredible planning” for such a murder to take place. “Stupidity cannot be part of the equation,” Rosario said.
Also, about $1,000 was given to Johnson by Wold for the alleged murder. Rosario inferred Welch committed the slaying on the cheap.
“This guy is the Kmart for murder-for-hire,” Rosario said.
Both men entered not guilty pleas.
- Kettle Moraine alumni basketball returns (0)
- Attwell announces for Delafield Mayor (0)
- Highway 83 accident witnesses sought (0)
- Food pantry items collected at holiday lights display in Mukwonago (0)
- DOT informational meeting held at Mukwonago Library (0)
- Donors needed for Waukesha blood drive (0)
- Sweet treats on sale at Mukwonago Food Pantry cookie fundraiser (0)
- Festival of Trees on display at Garden Mart (0)
- Kids' holiday gift workshop (0)
- Delafield Gun Club permit rejected (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007