Waukesha – A court commissioner this morning found there was probable cause Darren M. Wold and Jack E. Johnson plotted to kill Wold’s former girlfriend, Kimberly Smith of the City of Oconomowoc Oct. 1.
Court Commissioner Martin Binn said testimony provided by the prosecution’s 14 witnesses and 19 pieces of evidence showed there was a “reasonable inference” the men probably caused the crime.
Johnson, 65, of Mexico, and Wold, 41, of Lubbock, Texas, are suspected in a murder-for-hire plot to have Smith, 39, killed. Justin P. Welch, 26, of Mexico, is suspected to have stabbed Smith multiple times in Smith’s home early Oct. 1.
Wold was upset over a custody dispute with Smith over their young son and according to testimony by a co-worker of Wold’s said wanted to see Smith dead.
Wold is accused of sending money to Johnson who allegedly financed Welch’s trip to Wisconsin from California.
Prosecutors used phone records and money transfers by Wold and Johnson to link the men to Welch. Welch’s DNA was found on the murder weapon, prosecutors say.
Wold’s attorney Anthony Rosario dismissed the prosecution’s case saying there needs to be “incredible planning” for such a murder to take place. “Stupidity cannot be part of the equation,” Rosario said.
Also, about $1,000 was given to Johnson by Wold for the alleged murder. Rosario inferred Welch committed the slaying on the cheap.
“This guy is the Kmart for murder-for-hire,” Rosario said.
Both men entered not guilty pleas.
- Another teenager charged in connection to weapons found at high school (0)
- Area schools thrive in recent DPI report card (0)
- Presentation of Salem Witch Trials on Oct. 22 (0)
- Car thefts spark sheriff's warning to protect property near Norris Adolescent Center (0)
- Hawkfest tomorrow (0)
- Children's book release party at OPL (0)
- Drug drop off Sept. 27 (0)
- Mukwonago students skype with Shark Tank cast (0)
- Lisbon seeks temporary clerk (0)
- AHS homecoming parade moved to a Sunday (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007