The Kettle Moraine/Mukwonago varsity boys hockey team stunned No. 2 seeded Waukesha Catholic Memorial/Milwaukee Pius Thursday night at Eble Park in Brookfield in the WIAA regional championship game, 4-3.
KM/Mukwonago came into the game seeded No. 7 in the 12-school sectional.
CMH, which had not lost in its last eight games, inlcuding a 3-2 over KM/Mukwonago last week, gave up three unanswered goals to the Lasers in the second period, fell behind 4-1 and couldn't catch up in the final period.
KM will now advance to the sectional on Tuesday, Feb. 23. That game could be played against No. 3 seeded Waukesha.
Afetr the two teams battled to a 1-1 deadlock in the first period, KM/Mukwonago got goals from Mitch Ellena, Justin Yute and Austin Kreinz to pull away to a 4-1 lead going into the final period. CMH scored twice in the third period, but it was too little too late to catch the Lasers.
Greg Simandl had the first goal for KM. Tyler Platz had 35 saves for the winners in the goal.
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- Taste of Lake Country this weekend (0)
- Gateway apartment development begins construction in Oconomowoc (0)
- Oconomowoc man accused of fifth OWI (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts