Arrowhead All-State senior forward Brian Berger scored two goals in a span of 1:52 in the second period, vaulting the defending WIAA state champion Warhawks to a come-from-behind 4-1 victory over visitting Waupun Friday night at the Mullett Center that vaulted AHS into the sectional semifinals Tuesday night.
By winning, Arrowhead will now face longtime rival University School of Milwaukee at the Uihlein Ice Center in Milwaukee on Tuesday. The winner of that game will play for a state tournament berth on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Beaver Dam.
USM has defeated Arrowhead twice already this season.
Trailing 1-0, Berger fired in two brilliant goals with less than 6:35 to play in the second period to get his team going. From there Logan Martell added two more scores, staking the Warhawks to a comfortable 4-1 lead going into the final stanza. All four AHS goals came within a span of 4:31.
Cal Essig (2), Colton Sweitzer (2) and Mike Herrick had assists for the winners. Goalie Jake Michael had one of his best games of the season for Arrowhead, turning back 30 of 31 shots.
- East Troy Community Band hosts Swing Nouveau (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves preliminary plans for new subdivision (0)
- Rep. David Craig recognized for support of Wisconsin industry (0)
- County briefs Delafield on waste contracts (0)
- Drivers Ed class to begin Aug. 4 at Hamilton High School (0)
- Body pulled from private pond (0)
- Swallow School hosts presentation and tour on Tuesday (0)
- Taste of Lake Country back for 11th year (0)
- Dodge County Sheriff Dept. nabs two on suspicion of felony drunken driving (0)
- Lisbon asks court to control Sussex library spending (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts