Arrowhead All-State senior forward Brian Berger scored two goals in a span of 1:52 in the second period, vaulting the defending WIAA state champion Warhawks to a come-from-behind 4-1 victory over visitting Waupun Friday night at the Mullett Center that vaulted AHS into the sectional semifinals Tuesday night.
By winning, Arrowhead will now face longtime rival University School of Milwaukee at the Uihlein Ice Center in Milwaukee on Tuesday. The winner of that game will play for a state tournament berth on Saturday at 2 p.m. at Beaver Dam.
USM has defeated Arrowhead twice already this season.
Trailing 1-0, Berger fired in two brilliant goals with less than 6:35 to play in the second period to get his team going. From there Logan Martell added two more scores, staking the Warhawks to a comfortable 4-1 lead going into the final stanza. All four AHS goals came within a span of 4:31.
Cal Essig (2), Colton Sweitzer (2) and Mike Herrick had assists for the winners. Goalie Jake Michael had one of his best games of the season for Arrowhead, turning back 30 of 31 shots.
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- Give a pint, get a pint at Mukwonago community blood drive (0)
- Cushing will receive MOH (0)
- Fourth charter school set to open in Kettle Moraine School District (0)
- Last free concert for the season Aug. 29 (0)
- Hartland Village Board approves preliminary plat for Sanctuary subdivision (0)
- Former Mukwonago star athlete Dominic Cizauskas sentenced to 12 months in jail for third-degree sexual assault (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts