All three Oconomowoc wrestlers won first-round matches In the WIAA individual state wrestling meet, which began today at the Kohl Center in Madison. The trio will compete in the second round later this evening.
Zach Mommaerts (125 pounds) pinned Steve Fisher of Greenfield just as the first-period buzzer sounded, good for a win in 1:58. Fellow senior Jake Morrison (140) went untested mostly against Bobby Herrick of Nicolet, scoring a 9-0 victory.
The biggest win of the three belonged to the sophomore Taylor Mommaerts (135), who defeated Wilmot's Kyle Welzen -- a wrestler that came into the match with just two losses. Taylor's reward is facing Arrowhead's Jake Sueflohn, who also won his first-round match and is the top-ranked wrestler in the flight.
Zach also has a tough second-round draw, facing top-ranked Jesse Thielke of Germantown later tonight. Morrison will face Alex Amann of Racine Horlick in the second round.
Updates regarding local wrestlers can be found at the Preps Alcove.
- County briefs Delafield on waste contracts (0)
- Drivers Ed class to begin Aug. 4 at Hamilton High School (0)
- Body pulled from private pond (0)
- Magic is in the air at SummerStage (0)
- Swallow School hosts presentation and tour on Tuesday (0)
- Taste of Lake Country back for 11th year (0)
- Dodge County Sheriff Dept. nabs two on suspicion of felony drunken driving (0)
- Lisbon asks court to control Sussex library spending (0)
- Town of Mukwonago police pushing for more protection in elementary schools (0)
- Merton edges Hartland in LOL West (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts