All three Oconomowoc wrestlers won first-round matches In the WIAA individual state wrestling meet, which began today at the Kohl Center in Madison. The trio will compete in the second round later this evening.
Zach Mommaerts (125 pounds) pinned Steve Fisher of Greenfield just as the first-period buzzer sounded, good for a win in 1:58. Fellow senior Jake Morrison (140) went untested mostly against Bobby Herrick of Nicolet, scoring a 9-0 victory.
The biggest win of the three belonged to the sophomore Taylor Mommaerts (135), who defeated Wilmot's Kyle Welzen -- a wrestler that came into the match with just two losses. Taylor's reward is facing Arrowhead's Jake Sueflohn, who also won his first-round match and is the top-ranked wrestler in the flight.
Zach also has a tough second-round draw, facing top-ranked Jesse Thielke of Germantown later tonight. Morrison will face Alex Amann of Racine Horlick in the second round.
Updates regarding local wrestlers can be found at the Preps Alcove.
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts