All three Oconomowoc wrestlers won first-round matches In the WIAA individual state wrestling meet, which began today at the Kohl Center in Madison. The trio will compete in the second round later this evening.
Zach Mommaerts (125 pounds) pinned Steve Fisher of Greenfield just as the first-period buzzer sounded, good for a win in 1:58. Fellow senior Jake Morrison (140) went untested mostly against Bobby Herrick of Nicolet, scoring a 9-0 victory.
The biggest win of the three belonged to the sophomore Taylor Mommaerts (135), who defeated Wilmot's Kyle Welzen -- a wrestler that came into the match with just two losses. Taylor's reward is facing Arrowhead's Jake Sueflohn, who also won his first-round match and is the top-ranked wrestler in the flight.
Zach also has a tough second-round draw, facing top-ranked Jesse Thielke of Germantown later tonight. Morrison will face Alex Amann of Racine Horlick in the second round.
Updates regarding local wrestlers can be found at the Preps Alcove.
- Best Dam Bike Ride this weekend (0)
- Oconomowoc woman accused of stealing, cashing her brother's checks (0)
- Audition for Mukwonago Village Players fall production (0)
- New Village Square issues in Delafield (0)
- Bell Tower meeting postponed (0)
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts