Kettle Moraine 215-pound senior Jacob Laux was defeated in the first round of the WIAA state wrestling tournament Thursday afternoon by Chase Letson of Milton, 7-5.
Laux came into the meeting ranked No. 2 in the state at his flight, and each of the other top four wrestlers were on the other side of the bracket. Letson, however, was ranked fifth and pulled out the narrow victory.
Teammate Alex Cochrane, who scored an upset over Breyon Cosey of Waukesha West with a 16-second pin to qualify for state, continued his late-season run with a pin over John Jude of Milwaukee Custer in his first-round match at heavyweight. Cochrane was losing at the time, but battled back to advance into the second round.
Other locals winning first round matches: Jake Sueflohn of Arrowhead (135), Taylor Mommaerts of Oconomowoc (135), Zach Mommaerts of Oconomowoc (125), Jake Morrison of Oconomowoc (140), Ryan Aprahamian of Mukwonago (152), Al Yde of Arrowhead (160), Shane Hughes of Arrowhead (171) and Damon King of Mukwonago (189).
Updates for local wrestlers available at the Preps Alcove.
- Local talent in full bloom this summer (0)
- Business park proposed in Lisbon (0)
- Lisbon approves one convenience center, delays another (0)
- Meeting to discuss possible extension to Springdale Road (0)
- Traffic backup on I-94 eastbound near Sawyer Road (0)
- Eagle firefighter dies in fatal Town of Mukwonago accident (0)
- East Troy Community Band hosts Swing Nouveau (0)
- Hartland plan commission approves preliminary plans for new subdivision (0)
- Rep. David Craig recognized for support of Wisconsin industry (0)
- County briefs Delafield on waste contracts (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts