Kettle Moraine 215-pound senior Jacob Laux was defeated in the first round of the WIAA state wrestling tournament Thursday afternoon by Chase Letson of Milton, 7-5.
Laux came into the meeting ranked No. 2 in the state at his flight, and each of the other top four wrestlers were on the other side of the bracket. Letson, however, was ranked fifth and pulled out the narrow victory.
Teammate Alex Cochrane, who scored an upset over Breyon Cosey of Waukesha West with a 16-second pin to qualify for state, continued his late-season run with a pin over John Jude of Milwaukee Custer in his first-round match at heavyweight. Cochrane was losing at the time, but battled back to advance into the second round.
Other locals winning first round matches: Jake Sueflohn of Arrowhead (135), Taylor Mommaerts of Oconomowoc (135), Zach Mommaerts of Oconomowoc (125), Jake Morrison of Oconomowoc (140), Ryan Aprahamian of Mukwonago (152), Al Yde of Arrowhead (160), Shane Hughes of Arrowhead (171) and Damon King of Mukwonago (189).
Updates for local wrestlers available at the Preps Alcove.
- KM girls BB team stops Homestead (0)
- Pewaukee girls roll past North (0)
- LCL boys fall in sectional (0)
- Pewaukee boys win, move to sectional final (0)
- Judge issues clarification in Rural Home Cemetery order (0)
- I-94 East blocked at Hy. 83 (0)
- Man charged with fleeing two-car crash in Men. Falls (0)
- Men. Falls woman charged with fifth drunken driving offense (0)
- MASD and Mukwonago SAVE present on bullying (0)
- Many paths to success available to Mukwonago students (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts