Kettle Moraine 215-pound senior Jacob Laux was defeated in the first round of the WIAA state wrestling tournament Thursday afternoon by Chase Letson of Milton, 7-5.
Laux came into the meeting ranked No. 2 in the state at his flight, and each of the other top four wrestlers were on the other side of the bracket. Letson, however, was ranked fifth and pulled out the narrow victory.
Teammate Alex Cochrane, who scored an upset over Breyon Cosey of Waukesha West with a 16-second pin to qualify for state, continued his late-season run with a pin over John Jude of Milwaukee Custer in his first-round match at heavyweight. Cochrane was losing at the time, but battled back to advance into the second round.
Other locals winning first round matches: Jake Sueflohn of Arrowhead (135), Taylor Mommaerts of Oconomowoc (135), Zach Mommaerts of Oconomowoc (125), Jake Morrison of Oconomowoc (140), Ryan Aprahamian of Mukwonago (152), Al Yde of Arrowhead (160), Shane Hughes of Arrowhead (171) and Damon King of Mukwonago (189).
Updates for local wrestlers available at the Preps Alcove.
- New Village Square issues in Delafield (0)
- Bell Tower meeting postponed (0)
- Wienermobile visits Hartland this week (0)
- New Mukwonago elementary principal announced (0)
- Hartland village board talks quiet zones (0)
- Waste contract debate in Merton town (0)
- Police investigate emergency at corner of Wisconsin Ave. and Brown Street gas station (0)
- Mukwonago Food Pantry celebrates 25 years (0)
- Hartland village board to discuss 2015-2020 capitol improvements plan tonight (0)
- OHS grad passes away (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts