Kettle Moraine 215-pound senior Jacob Laux was defeated in the first round of the WIAA state wrestling tournament Thursday afternoon by Chase Letson of Milton, 7-5.
Laux came into the meeting ranked No. 2 in the state at his flight, and each of the other top four wrestlers were on the other side of the bracket. Letson, however, was ranked fifth and pulled out the narrow victory.
Teammate Alex Cochrane, who scored an upset over Breyon Cosey of Waukesha West with a 16-second pin to qualify for state, continued his late-season run with a pin over John Jude of Milwaukee Custer in his first-round match at heavyweight. Cochrane was losing at the time, but battled back to advance into the second round.
Other locals winning first round matches: Jake Sueflohn of Arrowhead (135), Taylor Mommaerts of Oconomowoc (135), Zach Mommaerts of Oconomowoc (125), Jake Morrison of Oconomowoc (140), Ryan Aprahamian of Mukwonago (152), Al Yde of Arrowhead (160), Shane Hughes of Arrowhead (171) and Damon King of Mukwonago (189).
Updates for local wrestlers available at the Preps Alcove.
- Hirschfeld commits to Wisconsin (0)
- Mukwonago holds hazardous waste collection this Saturday (0)
- Siergiej resigns at Arrowhead (0)
- Donate at North Prairie blood drive (0)
- High winds, rain hit Lake Country (0)
- Law office will renovate building in downtown Mukwonago (0)
- Hy. 16 near Pewaukee closed (0)
- T-shirt sale helps support Special Olympics (0)
- Kettle Moraine High School nationally certified for PLTW (0)
- Oconomowoc couple charged with home break-in (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts