Village of Sussex - Village trustees are expected to consider next week a resolution indicating that the Village Board is willing to consider annexing all of the territory in the Town of Lisbon.
It is unclear whether the village would attempt to annex any town land if the resolution was adopted by two thirds of the seven trustees. However, there are indications village officials believe the resolution is necessary because of a citizens group's effort to upgrade Lisbon's local government from a town to a village.
Town officials "are going to take some time to think about what has happened and then decide what to do about it" according to Town Chairman Matt Gehrke. The Town Board last week endorsed the incorporation petitions filed in Waukesha County Circuit Court by the citizens group Lisbon-Inc.org.
Gehrke said he believed 90 percent of town residents would oppose annexation into the village "because of the villages extremely high taxes" that he said "reflects the village administrations lack of fiscal discipline."
Gehrke said Village President Tony Lapcinski told him in a telephone conversation Friday that the Sussex did not want to be neighbors with another municipality that had lower taxes and provided fewer services than Sussex. Lapcinski could not be reached for comment.
Village Attorney Stanley Riffle told Circuit Court Judge Donald Hassin Friday afternoon that the state department of administration would "prefer" the village adopt the annexation resolution if village officials intend to raise issues about the level of Lisbon services during hearings on the incorporation petitions.
Hassin agreed to delay for 30 days his decision on whether the petitions meet state standards in order to give village trustees time to consider the annexation resolution.
- Hensler Field dedication highlights Mukwonago football game (0)
- Chocolate Factory to open tomorrow after Wednesday fire (0)
- Alternate routes recommended with Dousman road work (0)
- Trash pick-up adjusted in Wales for Labor Day (0)
- Special bird call donated to Lake Country chimney swift advocate (0)
- Electrical fire shuts down Seester's, Chocolate Factory in Pewaukee (0)
- Oconomowoc road construction update (0)
- Rock thrown through Mukwonago Food Pantry window overnight (0)
- Court order issued against library board (0)
- Updated: Attempted robbery at Miller Pharmacy in Mukwonago (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- All 2012
- All 2011
- All 2010
- All 2009
- All 2008
- All 2007