Village of Sussex - Village trustees are expected to consider next week a resolution indicating that the Village Board is willing to consider annexing all of the territory in the Town of Lisbon.
It is unclear whether the village would attempt to annex any town land if the resolution was adopted by two thirds of the seven trustees. However, there are indications village officials believe the resolution is necessary because of a citizens group's effort to upgrade Lisbon's local government from a town to a village.
Town officials "are going to take some time to think about what has happened and then decide what to do about it" according to Town Chairman Matt Gehrke. The Town Board last week endorsed the incorporation petitions filed in Waukesha County Circuit Court by the citizens group Lisbon-Inc.org.
Gehrke said he believed 90 percent of town residents would oppose annexation into the village "because of the villages extremely high taxes" that he said "reflects the village administrations lack of fiscal discipline."
Gehrke said Village President Tony Lapcinski told him in a telephone conversation Friday that the Sussex did not want to be neighbors with another municipality that had lower taxes and provided fewer services than Sussex. Lapcinski could not be reached for comment.
Village Attorney Stanley Riffle told Circuit Court Judge Donald Hassin Friday afternoon that the state department of administration would "prefer" the village adopt the annexation resolution if village officials intend to raise issues about the level of Lisbon services during hearings on the incorporation petitions.
Hassin agreed to delay for 30 days his decision on whether the petitions meet state standards in order to give village trustees time to consider the annexation resolution.
- Friends of Vernon Marsh hold educational small prairie burn today (0)
- Easter activities for the whole family (0)
- Feds indict Pewaukee "kingpin" for drug trafficking, homicide (0)
- Big Bend/Vernon Lions host egg hunt (0)
- Summit School principal resigns (0)
- Rock Freeway work will last through fall (0)
- Cold front freezes interstate traffic (0)
- Jazz night coming to Mukwonago High School (0)
- Good Friday hike planned (0)
- Lots of rain, snow in Lake Country (0)
- More Lake Country Watch posts