Delafield Legion creates parking for wounded warriors
City of Delafield - A new sign designating a parking space for wounded war veterans was installed outside the Delafield Legion Hall, off Lapham Peak Road, on Saturday, Jan. 12. The Sons of the American Legion Squadron 196 hope more signs - reading "Wounded Warrior Parking" - could be placed at businesses around Delafield.
Legion member Chuck Holland said many veterans who have a handicap resulting from their service don't consider themselves disabled - and decide not to apply for disabled parking privileges. "Many of them work hard not to consider themselves disabled," Holland said. It can be simply out of pride or they feel someone else needs the handicap parking spaces more, he added.
"The Wounded Warrior parking signs are just a way to honor and respect them," Holland explained.
The Sons of the American Legion will visit local business owners in the next few months to see whether they will allow the installation of the signs in their parking areas, Holland said.
The Common Council, Holland said, has already approved placing the signs at various city parks, including Cushing Memorial Park and Firemen's Park.
The Wounded Warrior Parking project in Delafield is patterned after similar programs already being done in other cities around the country, he said.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog