Sussex mulls special ID for door-to-door peddlers
Village board members Tuesday night discussed the idea of having vendors that sell door-to-door wear a ID badge. The proposal is being presented by Trustee Jason Wagner who said he has received concerns from constituents over transient merchants who are knocking on their doors.
Wagner said while the village already requires the salespeople to register for a permit to be able to sell their product in Sussex, many do so without the permit. He also said some residents may feel uncomfortable about asking to see their permit and if they wore a badge there would be no question they were approved to be knocking on doors in the village.
Trustees Pat Tetzlaff and Bob Zarzynski were not enthusiastic about the new requirement. They said the cons of increased work by staff outweighed the pros. Tetzlaff also cautioned that residents might assume whatever product a vendor wearing a badge with a village logo on it would be endorsed by the village.
The item was tabled until the next village board meeting so that two absent trustees could also comment.
More on this story in the Sussex Sun.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog