Oconomowoc officials enthusiastic about downtown apartment project
A request for support of a deal to swap city owned property in downtown Oconomowoc with commercial property along North Main Street received strong support from Common Council Tuesday night.
Officials approved support of drafting an agreement with developer and property owner Bob Felker on a 55-unit apartment project. Felker owns property where the former Boelter's shoes is on Main Street. The city is looking to trade its properties across from the under-construction community center for Felker's Main Street parcels.
The move will enable Felker to build the apartments officials said would be geared toward young professionals and others in a moderate income range. Director of Economic Development Bob Duffy said Felker has developed a similar residential development in Wauwatosa he will model this development after.
The city plans to expand its Village Green not just where the buildings are now, but out to the Fowler Lake shoreline cutting off the parking and road that exists there now.
"This is a win-win," said Alderwoman Cathleen Slattery who said downtown events like the planned German Christmas Market will only grow in success with the new public meeting space.
More on this story in Thursday's Oconomowoc Focus.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog