Event to honor veterans Friday in Oconomowoc
Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 635, will hold its annual POW/MIA Vigil beginning with Opening Ceremonies at 7 p.m on Friday, Sept. 21 at the Rhodee Memorial Band Shell on Wisconsin Avenue.
The third Friday in September has been declared National POVVIMIA Remembrance Day, a day for all Americans to remember those who have not returned from their service to our country, because they were held prisoner or were declared missing in action.
The vigil begins with the opening ceremony which includes the traditional reading of the names and lighting of candles for each serviceman from Wisconsin listed as prisoner of war or missing in action during the Vietnam War.
Recognition is also given to those missing or still held prisoner from other wars and conflicts.
The public is invited to take part in the ceremony by lighting a candle for one of our missing. Members of Chapter 635 will be available all during the evening to answer questions or provide information about the missing and continuing efforts to account for all of our country’s heroes. Closing Ceremonies will be held at 11 p.m. when the names are read again as the candles are retired.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog