WCTC seeks indoor firearms facility
The Waukesha County Technical College’s District Board on Tuesday gave approval to explore off-campus locations for an indoor, tactical firearms facility to meet community and law enforcement needs and provide training for the College’s Police Academy program.
“We’re looking for a modern, indoor range suitable for law enforcement where we can do scenario-based training and tactical applications,” said Brian Dorow, WCTC’s associate dean of criminal justice.
The range will be staffed by WCTC instructors, Dorow said. When not in use by local law enforcement, the range will be open to the public on a membership basis.
WCTC will complete a Request for Proposals (RFP) to lease property with an existing structure, within close proximity to the College’s Pewaukee campus to maintain continuity of training between the Morris Street Law Enforcement Training Center and the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course (EVOC) track. Once a site has been determined, WCTC will hold public input sessions in that area to solicit feedback from the community. In addition, the project will require a series of approvals from the WCTC District Board, Wisconsin Technical College System Board and the Village of Pewaukee, and may be subject to an environmental study.
The estimated cost for the firearms facility is approximately $1.4 million. The College hopes to begin construction in June 2013 and open the range in October 2013.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog