Wrong way through Oconomowoc roundabout will cost $40,000 to repair
City of Oconomowoc - Public Works Director Mark Frye said it will cost around $40,000 to repair damages to the city's roundabout sculpture and median area after a drunken driver plowed through the area on Sept. 23.
"At this time, we are estimating $40,000 to repair or replace the items," Frye said of the sculpture, masonry pillar, signs, plants, electrical wiring for the LED lights that light the sculpture at night and curb. He said the majority of the cost, $30,000, is for the replacement of the sculpture.
In 2010, the Oconomowoc Rotary donated the sculpture to the city for its roundabout that sits at the entrance to downtown.
According to information from the City of Oconomowoc Police Department, a 32-year-old Town of Oconomowoc man was driving his 2005 Lexus SUV west on Wisconsin Avenue at 3 a.m. on Sept. 23 and failed to negotiate the roundabout.
His vehicle struck the sculpture and then flipped on its side, hitting the brick light display. The driver was trapped in the vehicle and had to be extricated by the Oconomowoc Fire Department. He suffered no apparent injuries.
Alcohol was a factor in the crash and the driver was arrested for first offense drunken driving.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
AS IT APPEARED IN PRINT: PDF collection of Oconomowoc "Athletic Fields Forever" coverage.
Celebrate Lake Country
communities with stories
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- 24th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Fall Home & Remodeling Show
- LEARN ABOUT COMMON CORE SEPT. 20
- Mukwonago's Bark for Life to Benefit American Cancer Society
- All God’s Children of Delafield Announces A New Playground Being Built; Special Participation Event Mon., Sept. 15
- Hamilton again on Newsweek’s “Best High Schools” list
- Public Hearing on Town of Merton Garbage Pickup
- Christ the King Church of Delafield Announces New Worship Schedule; Adds Singer/Guitarist/Songwriter Dave Gerhartz to Music Staff
- Household and Agricultural Hazardous Waste Special Collection: Saturday, September 13 – Oconomowoc
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog