Village of Pewaukee Clerk addresses voting malfunction concerns
There might have been a voting machine error at about 9 a.m. in the Village of Pewaukee, according to voter Paul Provinzano, but Village Clerk Nancy Zastrow said that they are following procedure.
Provinzano told the Journal Sentinel that he inserted his ballot into the machine but the number, 298, did not change.
He alerted Zastrow, who said that although it is possible that the machine malfunctioned somehow, because it made the acceptation beep rather than the rejection beep, she is “98.5%” sure that the vote counted.
The same error might have happened 10 minutes later, and Zastrow’s staff made note of that, as well. Zastrow said that no other errors have happened since then.
“I’ve been in contact with the Government Accountability Board; we’ll figure it out, and every vote will count,” Zastrow said.
Regardless, Zastrow said that she always assigns her poll workers to hand count each vote at the end of the night to ensure that all ballots and their corresponding numbers are correct. It’s essentially a double-check.
“If there’s still a discrepancy at the end of the day (after hand counting), then the count or the state will order a recount and they’ll walk us through that. … If that’s what it takes, then we’ll certainly do that,” Zastrow said.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog