Summit referendum under way
Town of Summit residents will vote today on whether or not they think the town should be promoted to village status. The years-long pursuit by past and present town officials comes down to the electors today who are asked to cast their vote at Town Hall, 2911 N. Dousman Road, until 8 p.m.
Town Clerk Debra Schueler reported at the time of this posting that about 60 residents had come in to cast their vote. There are approximately 3,800 residents in the town. The municipality only needs one more vote than half for the referendum to pass and Summit to become a village.
Village status ensures Summit's borders are protected from annexation by neighboring municipalities. According to Town Administrator/Planner Henry Elling, a village also has more weight in consideration for government funding and grant applications.
Watch this site for results of the referendum tonight.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Americana Band Whiskey Belles Coming to the Schauer Center!
- Waukesha Just Between Friends Sale Starts March 21
- FREE Children's Easter Egg Hunt / Candy Drop
- Town Bank Hosts Annual Spring Shredding Events
- Local Artists invited to participate in WRAP Exhibit and Workshop
- GRAMMY® Award-Winner Randy Brecker Trumpet Clinic with students from Hartford, Arrowhead and Oconomowoc
- Step Your Way Into the Schauer Center With Step Afrika!
- 2 Lake Country Lutheran Soccer players named to 2013 Lutheran HS All American Team
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog