Edwards sentenced for murders
Edward Wayne Edwards who confessed in the past two weeks to killing at to killing least five people over 18 years in Ohio and Wisconsin was sentenced to two life terms in prison Monday - his second such sentence in as many weeks.
Edwards was accused of killing Fort Atkinson teen sweethearts Tim Hack and Kelly Drew in 1980. The couple disappeared from a wedding reception at Concord House in Sullivan and their bodies were later found in a wooded area near Ixonia. The murders became a cold case for nearly 30 years, but federal funding allowed such cases to be reinvestigated and semen found on Drew's pants was matched with Edwards' DNA.
Edwards was extricated from his home in Kentucky to Wisconsin last summer and during a recent trial proceeding Edwards admitted to the murders as well as the murder of another young couple nearly 14 years ago in Ohio. He also confessed to killing his step son while living in Ohio years ago.
Edwards has requested to serve his time in Ohio where the death penalty used instead of rotting in a jail cell he said during a recent hearing.
On Monday, Edwards sat quietly during the hearing, handcuffed in his wheelchair about 20 feet from his victims' assembled family. The 77-year-old did not address the family and showed no emotion, spending much of the hearing with his head drooped, facing the ground.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog