Pewaukee Beach closed
The beach at Lakefront Park in the Village of Pewaukee is entering its second week of closure because of high levels of E. coli bacteria.
The beach was closed June 24 because of the bacteria levels. The Pewaukee Park and Recreation Department routinely takes water samples at the beach.
Testing has occurred every day since the 24th, except for Sunday, June 27, and bacteria levels remain too high to open the beach to public swimming.
Sources of E. coli can be agricultural runoff, urban stormwater and sewage overflows, wildlife and waterfowl feces.
Although the direct cause of the bacteria cannot be determined at this time, the village received confirmation from the Department of Natural Resources that there was a sewage bypass into the lake on June 23.
The beach will continue to be sampled daily - except for July 4 and 5, when the lab is closed - until the counts reach an acceptable level.
E. coli can cause nausea, fever and stomach cramps. It is recommended that people do not swim in the water until the E. coli counts reach a safe level.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
AS IT APPEARED IN PRINT: PDF collection of Oconomowoc "Athletic Fields Forever" coverage.
Celebrate Lake Country
communities with stories
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- 24th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Fall Home & Remodeling Show
- LEARN ABOUT COMMON CORE SEPT. 20
- Mukwonago's Bark for Life to Benefit American Cancer Society
- All God’s Children of Delafield Announces A New Playground Being Built; Special Participation Event Mon., Sept. 15
- Hamilton again on Newsweek’s “Best High Schools” list
- Public Hearing on Town of Merton Garbage Pickup
- Christ the King Church of Delafield Announces New Worship Schedule; Adds Singer/Guitarist/Songwriter Dave Gerhartz to Music Staff
- Household and Agricultural Hazardous Waste Special Collection: Saturday, September 13 – Oconomowoc
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog