Andy Schatschneider | I Want to Know
Why are there so many peanut allergies these days?
Over the past several years, more and more children have been diagnosed with life-threatening peanut allergies. There is no one known reason why peanut allergies are on the rise in the U.S., although there are several theories, said Dr. Mary Jo Rolfes-Lo, who works in adult and pediatric allergy and immunology with ProHealth Care.
According to Rolfes-Lo, the development of a peanut allergy may be related to when peanuts are introduced into a person's diet, how much of the peanut allergen is ingested and how frequently peanuts or peanut products are eaten.
In the U.S., peanut allergies started rising at about the same time that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended that mothers with a history of allergy avoid peanuts during pregnancy and lactation and wait to add peanuts into the child's diet until the child is 2 or 3 years old. In Israel, where peanuts are introduced before 12 months of age, the peanut allergy rate is .04 percent; in the U.S., the rate is 1 percent, Rolfes-Lo said.
Other theories include a link between peanut allergens and the use of some lotions: In the U.S., people can be exposed to peanut allergens through certain lotions and creams that contain nut oils. Also, it is possible that the use of antacids and other acid-reducing medications can change the way the body "sees" peanut allergen.
Finally, roasted peanuts and emulsified/whipped peanut products (such as peanut butter) have more allergen than boiled peanuts. In the U.S., we eat more roasted peanuts and emulsified peanut products, whereas in Israel and Asia, where peanut allergy rates are lower, people eat boiled peanuts, Rolfes-Lo said.What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How fast can a Zamboni go?
- Where did JFK dine while in town?
- What does Raul Perez eat for breakfast?
- How many miles did Fran Ruplinger bicycle this year?
- What does a dentist give out for trick-or-treat?
- Who changes the time on the Oconomowoc City Hall Clock?
- Did Frank Lloyd Wright design the Oconomowoc Dental Center?
- What does the 'Tomato Lady' do with her unsold tomatoes?
- What is the Schnapp Hans Cup?
- Does living next door to Kurt's Steakhouse make you constantly hungry?
- Is remodeling finished at Stolley's Hogg Alley?
- Will food pantries accept produce from my garden?
- Why did Pick 'n Save change its card again?
- What's the meaning behind Palmer's stars?
- Who do I call when the tree limb falls?
- Why are pink flamingos landing in Hartland?
- What's happening with that old house?
- Does the LaserWash use actual lasers?
- What happens if there's a fire during a parade?
- What is the difference between a river, a stream and a creek?
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
A Lake Country Twist
on holiday favorites
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- CPA Presents - "Avner the Eccentric"
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive
- Hamilton students selected for Honors Band Festival
- Need some holiday gift ideas for that golfer in your life?
- Elation Dance Center Presents: Wonders of the Season
- Cornerstone Community Bank Hosting Cash Drive for Menomonee Falls Area Food Pantry
- Santa Lucia Festival & Craft Fair Dec. 7
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Fun With Google Body Browser
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog