Andy Schatschneider | I Want to Know
Why is school starting so early this year?
It's that time of year again.
One week from today, students across Lake Country will head back to school. Summer always seems too short, and because Labor Day is so late this year, school seems to be starting especially early.
According to Oconomowoc Area School District Superintendent Patricia Neudecker, the school year usually starts fairly close to Sept. 1. In fact, unless they receive a waiver from the state, Wisconsin public schools are prohibited from starting classes until Sept. 1.
The start-date rule was included as part of the 2001 Budget Act, and took effect for the 2002-03 school year, said Department of Public Instruction spokesman Patrick Gaspar. The tourism/hospitality industry had pushed for a late start date, Gaspar said, in part to ensure that students wouldn't have to ditch their summer jobs when school starts and in part to allow people to take one last vacation before school starts.
For the 2009-10 school year, students in the Oconomowoc district will attend school through June 11. School year scheduling is dependent on several factors, Neudecker said, including the number of student instruction days required (180 days), the number of teacher days (190 in Oconomowoc, an amount negotiated by the teachers union), holidays and school breaks.
If the district had started school any later than Sept. 1 (districts are allowed to start anytime they want after the first), the end-of-school date would have had to be pushed too far into next summer, Neudecker said.What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to iwanttok firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exactly how fast is 'freaky fast' at Jimmy John's?
- What do the "Throttle Down in Town" signs in Delafield mean?
- What was the first book shelved at the Delafield Public Library?
- What does Starbucks do with its used coffee grounds?
- How do you saw someone in half?
- How can hardwood floors be protected from winter salt damage?
- How much did SummerStage raise with Winter Gala?
- How does Revere's make the shamrock on their Guinness pints?
- Who is 'The Smallest Man on Record'?
- Do movie theaters still have projectionists?
- You know who cuts your hair, but who cuts Harry's?
- What's the perfect wine for Valentine's Day?
- Is Domino's Pizza ready for the Super Bowl?
- What does 'when children are present' specifically mean?
- How does a furnace repairman keep warm?
- Where can I get my cracked iPhone repaired?
- What's the 'Downton Abbey?'
- What was the most frequent patient at the Wildlife In Need Center?
- What's on hit local musician's Christmas hitlist?
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Member celebrates 94th birthday Tues Apr 21st
- Celebrate Spring with Schauer Community School of the Arts
- Hamilton student experiences government program
- Hamilton Band Boosters host Annual Spring Tasting
- Hamilton drama to present “Charlotte’s Web”
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Arthritis Doesn't Have to Mean It's Time to Slow Down
- Hamilton announces March students of the month
- AAUW Oconomowoc awarding two local scholarships
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog