Andy Schatschneider | I Want to Know
Why are my allergies so bad right now?
It started about three weeks ago - the itchy eyes, sniffly nose, scratchy throat and other symptoms that can only mean one thing: allergy season is in full swing.
While many people have been dealing with seasonal allergies for months, some allergy sufferers have felt especially hard-hit over the past few weeks. According to Dr. Mary Jo Rolfes-Lo, an allergist with ProHealth Care Medical Associates, that's likely because grass pollens started to come out in May and have been high over the past few weeks. Mold counts and some weed pollens have also been moderate to high recently.
Allergies really aren't all that much worse this year than they have been in years past, Rolfes-Lo said, but the season is longer; our mild winter weather caused things to started blooming and growing much earlier than usual. This year, many trees that usually pollinate between April and June instead started pollinating in March.
If you're looking for specific information on the types of allergens in the air locally, daily pollen counts for Waukesha (the closest location to Lake Country) are available at www.aaaai.org/nab.
Good news for the grass pollen-allergic among us: grasses should settle down by early to mid-July, Rolfes-Lo said.I Want To Know has a new email address. Email your questions to email@example.com.
- How fast can a Zamboni go?
- Where did JFK dine while in town?
- What does Raul Perez eat for breakfast?
- How many miles did Fran Ruplinger bicycle this year?
- What does a dentist give out for trick-or-treat?
- Who changes the time on the Oconomowoc City Hall Clock?
- Did Frank Lloyd Wright design the Oconomowoc Dental Center?
- What does the 'Tomato Lady' do with her unsold tomatoes?
- What is the Schnapp Hans Cup?
- Does living next door to Kurt's Steakhouse make you constantly hungry?
- Is remodeling finished at Stolley's Hogg Alley?
- Will food pantries accept produce from my garden?
- Why did Pick 'n Save change its card again?
- What's the meaning behind Palmer's stars?
- Who do I call when the tree limb falls?
- Why are pink flamingos landing in Hartland?
- What's happening with that old house?
- Does the LaserWash use actual lasers?
- What happens if there's a fire during a parade?
- What is the difference between a river, a stream and a creek?
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
A Lake Country Twist
on holiday favorites
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- CPA Presents - "Avner the Eccentric"
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive
- Hamilton students selected for Honors Band Festival
- Need some holiday gift ideas for that golfer in your life?
- Elation Dance Center Presents: Wonders of the Season
- Cornerstone Community Bank Hosting Cash Drive for Menomonee Falls Area Food Pantry
- Santa Lucia Festival & Craft Fair Dec. 7
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Fun With Google Body Browser
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog