Andy Schatschneider | I Want to Know
Why are my allergies so bad right now?
It started about three weeks ago - the itchy eyes, sniffly nose, scratchy throat and other symptoms that can only mean one thing: allergy season is in full swing.
While many people have been dealing with seasonal allergies for months, some allergy sufferers have felt especially hard-hit over the past few weeks. According to Dr. Mary Jo Rolfes-Lo, an allergist with ProHealth Care Medical Associates, that's likely because grass pollens started to come out in May and have been high over the past few weeks. Mold counts and some weed pollens have also been moderate to high recently.
Allergies really aren't all that much worse this year than they have been in years past, Rolfes-Lo said, but the season is longer; our mild winter weather caused things to started blooming and growing much earlier than usual. This year, many trees that usually pollinate between April and June instead started pollinating in March.
If you're looking for specific information on the types of allergens in the air locally, daily pollen counts for Waukesha (the closest location to Lake Country) are available at www.aaaai.org/nab.
Good news for the grass pollen-allergic among us: grasses should settle down by early to mid-July, Rolfes-Lo said.I Want To Know has a new email address. Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How will the Badgers do this season?
- What was Winston Churchill's drink of choice?
- What will the 'Summer in a Cup' girls do in fall?
- How often does a beekeeper get stung?
- Why did the new Green Road in Pewaukee need more work done?
- Do those ice cream truck jingles bother the driver?
- How did the Tin Man get to be at Storm's Mini-Golf?
- What was with all the high-wheel bikes on the Glacial Drumlin trail?
- Did David Hyde Pierce skinny dip in the Lunt-Fontanne pool?
- How fast can the Pedal Tavern go?
- How far can the 'Bike Doc' throw a bike?
- Are plastic bottle caps really recyclable?
- What on earth is a 'Mac-and-Cheese Wurst'?
- How much trash did Adopt-A-Highway program pick up in 2013?
- How do you get rid of Eurasian water-milfoil?
- Who designs the annual state park stickers?
- Is there a Frank Lloyd Wright home in Waukesha County?
- Where are Lunt and Fontanne laid to rest?
- Is professional wrestling for real?
- Where can I get my motorcycle blessed?
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
AS IT APPEARED IN PRINT: PDF collection of Oconomowoc "Athletic Fields Forever" coverage.
Celebrate Lake Country
communities with stories
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- 7th Annual Candy Buy Back for Operation Gratitude!
- Maple Avenue earns state high progress award
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Is Going Barefoot Really a Prescription for Fewer Running-Related Injuries?
- Welcome Autumn Storytime Sept. 22 at Mama D's Coffee
- Annual Waterford Fall Harvest Fest October 5
- Free Recycling Program for Ink and Toner Cartridges
- UW-Waukesha Continuing Education Classes (Sept 29-Oct 5, 2014)
- Recycling Stream Quality
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog