Andy Schatschneider | I Want to Know
Why are my allergies so bad right now?
It started about three weeks ago - the itchy eyes, sniffly nose, scratchy throat and other symptoms that can only mean one thing: allergy season is in full swing.
While many people have been dealing with seasonal allergies for months, some allergy sufferers have felt especially hard-hit over the past few weeks. According to Dr. Mary Jo Rolfes-Lo, an allergist with ProHealth Care Medical Associates, that's likely because grass pollens started to come out in May and have been high over the past few weeks. Mold counts and some weed pollens have also been moderate to high recently.
Allergies really aren't all that much worse this year than they have been in years past, Rolfes-Lo said, but the season is longer; our mild winter weather caused things to started blooming and growing much earlier than usual. This year, many trees that usually pollinate between April and June instead started pollinating in March.
If you're looking for specific information on the types of allergens in the air locally, daily pollen counts for Waukesha (the closest location to Lake Country) are available at www.aaaai.org/nab.
Good news for the grass pollen-allergic among us: grasses should settle down by early to mid-July, Rolfes-Lo said.I Want To Know has a new email address. Email your questions to email@example.com.
- How does Revere's make the shamrock on their Guinness pints?
- Who is 'The Smallest Man on Record'?
- Do movie theaters still have projectionists?
- You know who cuts your hair, but who cuts Harry's?
- What's the perfect wine for Valentine's Day?
- Is Domino's Pizza ready for the Super Bowl?
- What does 'when children are present' specifically mean?
- How does a furnace repairman keep warm?
- Where can I get my cracked iPhone repaired?
- What's the 'Downton Abbey?'
- What was the most frequent patient at the Wildlife In Need Center?
- What's on hit local musician's Christmas hitlist?
- How fast can a Zamboni go?
- Where did JFK dine while in town?
- What does Raul Perez eat for breakfast?
- How many miles did Fran Ruplinger bicycle this year?
- What does a dentist give out for trick-or-treat?
- Who changes the time on the Oconomowoc City Hall Clock?
- Did Frank Lloyd Wright design the Oconomowoc Dental Center?
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Americana Band Whiskey Belles Coming to the Schauer Center!
- Waukesha Just Between Friends Sale Starts March 21
- FREE Children's Easter Egg Hunt / Candy Drop
- Town Bank Hosts Annual Spring Shredding Events
- Local Artists invited to participate in WRAP Exhibit and Workshop
- GRAMMY® Award-Winner Randy Brecker Trumpet Clinic with students from Hartford, Arrowhead and Oconomowoc
- Step Your Way Into the Schauer Center With Step Afrika!
- 2 Lake Country Lutheran Soccer players named to 2013 Lutheran HS All American Team
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog