Andy Schatschneider | I Want to Know
Why do turkeys fan their feathers?
This time of year, there are lots of turkeys out and about, strutting their stuff, tail feathers fanned out in a beautiful display. So why do turkeys do this?
It's mating season, and the male turkeys, called gobblers or toms, spread their tail feathers as a way to make themselves more attractive to the females, or hens. Strutting, as the mating behavior is called, also includes toms making their distinctive gobble sounds and extending their wing feathers, letting the tips of their wings drag on the ground.
The turkey mating season starts in late March/early-April and usually extends well into May, and the spring turkey hunting season is timed to coincide with it. Hunters typically make calls pretending to be hens in order to lure the male turkeys so they can be hunted. The spring turkey season ends the third week in May.
During the spring turkey season, only male turkeys or bearded female turkeys can be harvested. According to Krista McGinley, assistant upland wildlife ecologist with the state Department of Natural Resources, about 10 percent of female turkeys have beards, which makes it difficult to distinguish them from their male counterparts.
What do you want to know? Email your questions to email@example.com.
- How fast can a Zamboni go?
- Where did JFK dine while in town?
- What does Raul Perez eat for breakfast?
- How many miles did Fran Ruplinger bicycle this year?
- What does a dentist give out for trick-or-treat?
- Who changes the time on the Oconomowoc City Hall Clock?
- Did Frank Lloyd Wright design the Oconomowoc Dental Center?
- What does the 'Tomato Lady' do with her unsold tomatoes?
- What is the Schnapp Hans Cup?
- Does living next door to Kurt's Steakhouse make you constantly hungry?
- Is remodeling finished at Stolley's Hogg Alley?
- Will food pantries accept produce from my garden?
- Why did Pick 'n Save change its card again?
- What's the meaning behind Palmer's stars?
- Who do I call when the tree limb falls?
- Why are pink flamingos landing in Hartland?
- What's happening with that old house?
- Does the LaserWash use actual lasers?
- What happens if there's a fire during a parade?
- What is the difference between a river, a stream and a creek?
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
A Lake Country Twist
on holiday favorites
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- CPA Presents - "Avner the Eccentric"
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive
- Hamilton students selected for Honors Band Festival
- Need some holiday gift ideas for that golfer in your life?
- Elation Dance Center Presents: Wonders of the Season
- Cornerstone Community Bank Hosting Cash Drive for Menomonee Falls Area Food Pantry
- Santa Lucia Festival & Craft Fair Dec. 7
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Fun With Google Body Browser
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog