Andy Schatschneider | I Want to Know
Where should you put your hands on the steering wheel?
If you answered this question "10 and 2", you clearly haven't taken driver's ed in a while.
Over the past several years, the advice about the best place to put your hands on the steering wheel has changed. Instead of gripping the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, beginning drivers are now taught to place their hands at 9 and 3 or 8 and 4.
Why the change? According to Tony Phillips, owner of KC's Driving School in Hartland, one of the reasons we were all taught 10 and 2 in the first place was that back in the day, cars didn't have power steering. Gripping the top of the steering wheel provided more leverage to turn it; that grip is no longer necessary now that power steering is standard in most vehicles.
In addition, Phillips said, researchers have found that drivers who hold their hands at 10 and 2 suffer more shoulder injuries in car accidents. Because the top of a steering wheel is tilted toward the windshield, if you hold the wheel at 10 and 2, your arms are held fairly straight out in front of you and your elbows will typically lock in a bracing-for-impact situation. However, holding the wheel in a lower position means that your elbows are bent and therefore won't lock.
Holding the wheel in a lower position can also keep your hands and arms out of the way of the airbag if it is deployed in an accident.What do you want to know? E-mail your questions to iwanttoknow@wi. rr.com.
- Did David Hyde Pierce skinny dip in the Lunt-Fontanne pool?
- How fast can the Pedal Tavern go?
- How far can the 'Bike Doc' throw a bike?
- Are plastic bottle caps really recyclable?
- What on earth is a 'Mac-and-Cheese Wurst'?
- How much trash did Adopt-A-Highway program pick up in 2013?
- How do you get rid of Eurasian water-milfoil?
- Who designs the annual state park stickers?
- Is there a Frank Lloyd Wright home in Waukesha County?
- Where are Lunt and Fontanne laid to rest?
- Is professional wrestling for real?
- Where can I get my motorcycle blessed?
- Why is this tree smiling at me?
- Exactly how fast is 'freaky fast' at Jimmy John's?
- What do the "Throttle Down in Town" signs in Delafield mean?
- What was the first book shelved at the Delafield Public Library?
- What does Starbucks do with its used coffee grounds?
- How do you saw someone in half?
- How can hardwood floors be protected from winter salt damage?
- How much did SummerStage raise with Winter Gala?
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Celebrate Lake Country
communities with stories
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- soothe your soul in door county, wi - blissfull yoga retreat with soul on yoga
- Enjoy Fun Activities at the Schauer Center Open House
- UW-Waukesha Fall Classes - Come Grow with Us!
- Shop 'til you drop to benefit HPHC
- 2nd Annual charity GMMO to be held at Senic View Golf Course
- Lake Country Martial Arts Ninja Camp
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Which Type of Yoga is Right for You?
- 2014 GreenBuilt Home Tour Features Twin Lakes WI Home.
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog