Never tasted raccoon?
The 86th annual Tom McNulty Memorial Coon Feed is at 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26, at American Legion Post 196, 333 N. Lapham Peak Road, Delafield.
This annual tradition was started by McNulty and his hunting buddies to raise money for Delafield youth programs. Early on, McNulty and his friends ate what they caught themselves. Later they opened the dinner to the public to help raise funds for local youth baseball teams.
The last time McNulty went on a hunt was in 1985, when he was 88. He died May 5, 1991, a week after celebrating his 94th birthday. Since then the torch has passed to his wife, Lillian, who still attends the event.
With help from members and friends of the Delafield Legion Post, the food is still prepared using McNulty's closely guarded secret recipe. Additional help comes from St. John's Northwestern Military Academy, which opens its large kitchen facilities.
Suggested donation: adults $12, children $6; includes roasted raccoon meat, mashed potatoes with gravy, stuffing, sauerkraut, coleslaw, bread, and coffee, milk or water. An alternate meat, (ham or turkey), is also available. Desserts will be provided by the Delafield Legion Ladies Auxiliary.
Raffles will also be held. Proceeds from the dinners go to Delafield American Legion Youth Programs. For more information, call event chairman Dick Reul, (262) 646-2252, or Delafield Legion Post 196, (262) 646-3930, or visit www.delafieldlegion.com.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog