Former employee charged in theft from business
City of Oconomowoc - A 27-year-old Oconomowoc man was charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court on Jan. 22 for allegedly robbing an Oconomowoc car maintenance shop last summer.
Joshua G. Watkins was charged with one felony count of burglary for the July 7 robbery of Valvoline Quick Oil Change, 1111 Summit Ave.
According to the complaint:
An assistant manager arrived at the store at 10:30 a.m. on July 8 and found that the overnight bank deposit bag was missing and the cash register was emptied. The deposit bag contained approximately $300 and the register contained $100.
Video surveillance from the store showed a subject wearing white gloves and a bright yellow shirt enter the building the night prior. The assistant manager told police he recognized the shoes and shirt as belonging to Watkins, a former employee of the Valvoline. He also noted that the subject seemed to know where the security cameras were located because he positioned himself in areas where it would be difficult to see his face.
"Further, the way the defendant walked and stood at the register was the exact same way the defendant walked and stood," the complaint reads.
If convicted of all charges, Watkins could face more than 12 years in prison, $25,000 in fines, or both. Watkins' next expected court date is Feb. 4.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog