Nurse charged with stealing drugs
Waukesha - A 21-year-old Hartland woman was charged Tuesday with stealing about $24,000 worth of Demerol from a hospital as she became addicted to the painkiller.
Yvette K. Teran was a nurse at Community Memorial Hospital in Menomonee Falls and is suspected of stealing about 550 50-mg vials of the drug between June and December 2011, according to the criminal complaint filed in Waukesha County Circuit Court. A co-worker caught Teran stealing the drug on Dec. 13, 2011, the complaint said.
The co-worker reported the incident to management, and a search of Teran's locker resulted in the discovery of empty vials of Demerol and two used needles. Teran was then terminated.
Teran told police she started stealing the drug in June or July as she was going through problems at home with her boyfriend "as well as the responsibility of owning two homes," the complaint said.
Teran said at first she used the leftover drug that was not used by a patient, the complaint said. Each vial contains 50 mg; a patient would be prescribed 25 mg, and she would inject that amount into the patient and then use the remaining 25 mg herself, the complaint said.
Teran said she became addicted to the drug and started stealing, taking as many as five or six vials a day, the complaint said.
Teran was charged with a felony count of theft and is scheduled to make her initial appearance in court Feb. 20.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog