Big Bend PD receives grant for new interview room
Village of Big Bend - The village Police Department will soon have a much-needed and anticipated interview room, complete with brand-new video equipment.
The department was given a $1,930 grant from the Office of Justice Assistance, which will cover the cost of a 16-channel DVR with CD/DVD-RW, one terabyte hard disc drive and 10-inch monitor with speaker; all of which records and plays in high-definition video.
Police Chief Mike Hartert explained that several years ago, the state passed a law that departments voice record any suspect being interviewed for a potential felony. Since that law took effect, the department has been using a handheld voice recorder, but Hartert said it's a better practice in most cases to have both voice and visual recordings.
The department currently lacks an interview room, which is necessary for not only interviewing suspects, but also for speaking with victims, often about sensitive matters. Currently victims are often interviewed in the Village Board meeting room. Several Police Department and board members as well as residents have volunteered to build an interview room in the station during November. The majority of materials will come from scraps left over from building the new Fire Department. Hartert said tat if there is any cost involved, it will be minimal.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog