Staff raises proposed in Vernon budget
Town of Vernon - A 2-percent pay increase is proposed for all town employees in the 2013 budget. Also proposed is an increase in the amount employees must contribute to their health insurance.
Town Chairman Mike Doble explained that the proposed budget calls for higher employee health insurance contributions, jumping the amount from 12 percent to 15 percent.
"We worked hard to balance being fair with our employees and getting them a cost-of-living increase with our goal of maintaining a level tax rate," said Doble. "We balanced that against a level tax rate and increasing some of their cost shares."
For about the fifth year in a row, the tax rate is being held at $2.01 per $1,000 of assessed value. If the budget passes, the owner of a $250,000 home can expect to pay $502.50 in town taxes for 2013.
The tax levy for 2013 is proposed at about $1.67 million, a 0.59 percent decrease from the 2012 levy of about $1.68 million. The town's proposed expenditures come to about $3.21 million for 2013, a 4.6-percent increase, or $142,526 over 2012's budget of about $3.07 million.
The proposed budget will be voted on by town residents during a public hearing at 7 p.m. Oct. 24.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog