Guilty verdict for both in murder-for-hire case
After just three hours of deliberation, the jury in the murder-for-hire case returned guilty verdicts against Darren Wold and Jack E. Johnson on Wednesday evening in Judge James R. Kieffer's Waukesha County courtroom.
The two were accused of arranging for Justin Welch to murder Kimberly Smith at her Oconomowoc home. On Oct. 1, 2009, Welch, while Smith's 4-year-old son was upstairs, stabbed Smith to death in what testimony said was Wold's attempt to resolve a custody battle for the boy. Welch, who pleaded guilty to charges that he murdered Smith, testified that Wold worked through Johnson to arrange the murder. Wold had agreed to pay $7,000 for the murder, though Welch never got all the money.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- AAUW Oconomowoc awarding two local scholarships
- Community Blood Drive Hosted by Christ the King Church of Delafield
- Waukesha BluesFest Announces 2014 Entertainment Line-up - Tickets on Sale Tues., April 15
- Christ the King Presents Good Friday Cantata; Easter Services Announced
- Free Community Open House
- Midwest Penguins Announce Expanded Big Ball Bash Volleyball Event May 2 & 3
- "Be the Voice of Catholic Women!" Attend the MACCW Convention!
- Hamilton performs at Jazz Festival
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog