Guilty verdict for both in murder-for-hire case
After just three hours of deliberation, the jury in the murder-for-hire case returned guilty verdicts against Darren Wold and Jack E. Johnson on Wednesday evening in Judge James R. Kieffer's Waukesha County courtroom.
The two were accused of arranging for Justin Welch to murder Kimberly Smith at her Oconomowoc home. On Oct. 1, 2009, Welch, while Smith's 4-year-old son was upstairs, stabbed Smith to death in what testimony said was Wold's attempt to resolve a custody battle for the boy. Welch, who pleaded guilty to charges that he murdered Smith, testified that Wold worked through Johnson to arrange the murder. Wold had agreed to pay $7,000 for the murder, though Welch never got all the money.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Celebrate Lake Country
communities with stories
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Macy Anderson, Dousman Resident, Joins Wallner Builders as Design Facilitator
- Waukesha County’s Mukwonago Park Dog Exercise Area Grand Opening Announced
- THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR COOKOUT FOR A CURE
- NIKOLAI STRIKES BACK
- Ameriprise Advisor, Hartland Resident, Achieves Circle of Success Recognition
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Does Chiropractic Help Back Pain Associated with Pregnancy?
- Families can apply for free, reduced lunches
- Hamilton schools plan for start of classes
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog