Welch sentenced to life in prison
A judge this morning sentenced Justin Welch, 28, who was hired to kill Kimberly Smith of Oconomowoc, to life in prison, though he will be eligible for parole at age 70.
Welch killed Smith on Oct. 1, 2009. He was hired by Darren Wold, Smith's former boyfriend and the father of her child, to kill Smith. Wold's longtime friend Jack Johnson acted as a middle man. Wold and Johnson were found guilty of first-degree intentional homicide by a jury last week.
Welch entered a plea deal with prosecutors earlier this year. In exchange for providing authorities information and testifying against Wold and Johnson, prosecutors agreed to recommend Welch be eligible for parole at age 60.
But Judge James R. Kieffer said that because of the brutal nature of the murder he sentenced Welch to a longer term in prison. A parole board will ultimately decide whether Welch will be released.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
» Tee time
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- AAUW Oconomowoc awarding two local scholarships
- Community Blood Drive Hosted by Christ the King Church of Delafield
- Waukesha BluesFest Announces 2014 Entertainment Line-up - Tickets on Sale Tues., April 15
- Christ the King Presents Good Friday Cantata; Easter Services Announced
- Free Community Open House
- Midwest Penguins Announce Expanded Big Ball Bash Volleyball Event May 2 & 3
- "Be the Voice of Catholic Women!" Attend the MACCW Convention!
- Hamilton performs at Jazz Festival
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog