Welch wants to warn youth away from crime
Shortly after his sentencing last week, convicted killer Justin Welch said he'd like to get involved with a "Scared Straight"-type program to help influence youth to avoid a life of crime.
In talking with reporter Donna Frake, Welch -- who was sentenced to life in prison for killing 39-year-old Kimberly Smith in 2009 -- expressed remorse for the crime, and frustration that Judge James Kieffer doubted his sincerity.
Read more in Tuesday's Oconomowoc Focus and Lake Country Reporter.
"I never stopped thinking about it every single day. I can’t believe I did it," Welch said. "I destroyed a lot of lives. I would give anything to go back in time.
"I don’t expect her family to forgive me, I just want them to know it is sincere," he added.
"The judge said he doesn’t feel I was remorseful, that I was putting on a show. That bothered me," he said.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog