Chris Schuck | All Schuck Up
Did you know? Cooney baseball trivia
First off, congrats to the newest conference champions in Oconomowoc. The Raccoons baseball team was the dominant force in the Wisconsin Little Ten Conference this season. On Monday, the Oconomowoc boys track and field team ran away with the WIAA regional held at Watertown. The varsity girls softball team captured the top spot in the WLT under head coach Dave Schweder, and the girls soccer team joined the party with a 3-0 win over Slinger to clinch the WLT on Tuesday.
The run of success had me thinking about some of the great teams in area history. My mind wandered to Oconomowoc baseball.
In 1981, the Oconomowoc Five O's eventually won the Land O'Lakes Grand Championship, following in the footsteps of the high school baseball team that won it all under legendary coach Bill Martin in the spring.
The Five O's, coached by Gary Bender, opened up LOL Grand Championship play with a 10-0 win on the road. A familiar name to Oconomowoc baseball spectators was on the mound that day. Dave Schlosser was dealing. The left-hander struck out 15 batters, tossing a 4-hitter against Southwestern Division champion Palmyra. At the plate, the patient left-handed hitter went 2 for 5 with a home run and two runs scored.
Jeff Roth had two hits and two runs scored. Ron Jaeger went 3 for 4 and Tom Ryan went 3 for 6 for the Five O's. Pat Leslie had two hits for the winners.
If you know the answers to these trivia questions, you might be a true Oconomowoc historian.
Most know what years the Raccoons were state champions in baseball, but can you name the seasons Oconomowoc settled for a silver ball?
If you said 1991, 92 and 96, you get a prize.
In 1980, the Raccoons defeated La Crosse Central in the state championship game, 10-4. Was the game played in Appleton, Madison, Milwaukee or Wausau?
Think north. It was Wausau.
Mike Bolson went 3-3 on the mound for Vermont, pitching in the New York-Penn League in 2000. At the time, Vermont was a farm club for what Major League franchise?
Montreal, which became the Washington Nationals.
OHS baseball coach Arno Kirchenwitz, who continues to be successful in his third year at the helm, played minor league baseball for what organization?
The Brewers' nemesis, the St. Louis Cardinals.
A bonus question, and one that shows you've been paying attention: Can you name the year in which the softball, girls soccer, baseball and boys track and field team at Oconomowoc all won league titles in the same spring?
That would be 2013.
- Biebel wants smarter heads to prevail
- Legion no longer a bridge too far
- Oconomowoc drivers, start your engines
- Five O's show life, no kidding
- Simons blossomed at Lake Country Lutheran
- Oconomowoc playing through it all
- Boston Marathon a triumph of the human spirit
- WLT spring baseball to get a new look next year
- Wessberg welcome addition to STiKS
- Younger Kloth an Illinois icon
- Momentary time travel can ease those winter blahs
- Winter tournaments dead ahead
- Olympic sports played right around the corner
- Please let Mr. Rodgers play against Dallas
- Diderrich was perfect fit at OHS
- Odds and ends in Oconomowoc sports
- Mystery team up next for Oconomowoc gridders
- OHS statisticians needing a breather after shootout
- Road-weary Wisco wants out of WLT
- Roosevelt would have been right place at right time
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Celebrate Lake Country
communities with stories
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- 24th Annual Milwaukee/NARI Fall Home & Remodeling Show
- LEARN ABOUT COMMON CORE SEPT. 20
- Mukwonago's Bark for Life to Benefit American Cancer Society
- All God’s Children of Delafield Announces A New Playground Being Built; Special Participation Event Mon., Sept. 15
- Hamilton again on Newsweek’s “Best High Schools” list
- Public Hearing on Town of Merton Garbage Pickup
- Christ the King Church of Delafield Announces New Worship Schedule; Adds Singer/Guitarist/Songwriter Dave Gerhartz to Music Staff
- Household and Agricultural Hazardous Waste Special Collection: Saturday, September 13 – Oconomowoc
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog