Butler continues to review rules for chickens
Village of Butler — The Butler Plan Commission is scheduled to discuss and possibly make recommendations on a proposed ordinance that could increase the presence of feathered fowl in the community.
At its meeting Nov. 19, the Village Board agreed to forward the issue on to the Plan Commission.
"This was done for two reasons," Village Administrator/Clerk Jesse Thyes wrote in an email. "An ordinance amendment of this nature requires Plan Commission action. Secondly, the Plan Commission will need to determine how to best draft any possible ordinance updates."
Commissioners are tentatively scheduled to discuss the issue Dec. 17. A public hearing will not be held at the meeting, but one could be scheduled at a later date.
The chicken keeping issue first bubbled to the surface in mid-October after a resident asked officials to review its existing ordinances.
Portions of Butler's municipal code are antiquated. While few have kept chickens in the village, there is language permitting property owners in residential areas to keep up to two of the birds. As is the case with most municipalities, roosters are not permitted.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog