Smoke alarm saves man and dog
Fire starts in home-bait shop on Lake Five
Town of Lisbon - Area firefighters may have saved a County Line Road landmark from destruction after it caught fire earlier this week.
Town of Lisbon Fire Chief Doug Brahm praised the work of Lisbon, Hartland, Richfield, Sussex and Merton firefighters in saving most of the structure from a Monday morning fire.
The blaze apparently started in the basement of the residential-style building that has served as a bait shop and boat rental along the Lake Five shoreline for years.
Christopher Borchardt was asleep on the second floor when he and his dog heard the smoke detector and escaped from the house.
Brahm said most of the damage, which he estimated at about $50,000, was to the interior of the structure and he believed the exterior could be restored.
When the firefighters arrived at the scene, they believed they had sufficient water in pumper trucks to douse the fire, but began shuttling by tanker truck a reserve supply of about 9,000 gallons from the Bark River near Plainview Road.
Brahm explained the house is near a curve on County Line Road (Highway Q) where the shoreline embankment was too steep for firefighters to access water out of Lake Five. He said it was easier to haul the water from the Bark River at Plainview Road which is several miles from the site of the fire.
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog