Sussex boy will be grand marshal in Christmas parade
He underwent blood transfusion as a baby
An estimated 20,000 people will fill the streets in downtown Waukesha for the Christmas Parade on Sunday. And the first person they will see is Ryan Heiman, a 5-year-old from Sussex.
The Blood Center of Wisconsin, the title sponsor of the parade, has named Heiman the grand marshal for the parade, which begins at 4 p.m. Sunday.
The parade, in its 50th year, begins at the intersection of White Rock Avenue and East Main Street, before traveling primarily along east and west Main Street and ends at Wisconsin and Maple avenues.
According to the Blood Center, shortly after Ryan was born, he needed a blood transfusion.
The Blood Center said that Ryan is now healthy and just celebrated his fifth birthday in October - all because donors made sure blood was available when he needed it.
"Words truly cannot express how deeply grateful we are that someone had donated the blood that saved our son's life," said Jason Heiman, Ryan's dad. "Ryan is thrilled to be part of the parade, and it's our hope that seeing his smiling face on that day will be an inspiration for people to give so other lives can be saved."
Top stories from the Lake Country area. Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
Click here for stories
on community pride
Do you have news or a nonprofit event that you would like to share with the community? Whether it's a community organization, a business, a local school, or a notable neighbor, we'd love to hear about it.
- Mindful Mixed Mediums Project: in Memory of Lake Country Artist, Kathy Boritzke (Hosted by The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts), is Looking for 5th-8th Grade Visual Arts and Creative Writing Students to Participate
- CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE ADDRESSES DISPUTED TOPICS IN WAUKESHA PEWAUKEE
- Five By Design Brings Club Swing to Schauer Center
- FREE Workshops Teach Eco-friendly Methods
- Wisconsin Watercolor Society Exhibit at the Schauer Center
- "Brass at Night" concert by Milwaukee Festival Brass
- Local Youth Perform with New York Theatre Ballet in Cinderella & Other Tales
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Are You Sitting Properly?
Lake Country residents share their views on news, happenings and current events.
LivingLakeCountry.com features more than a dozen community bloggers - a group of volunteer conversation leaders who are up on the latest topics and never short on an opinion. Just a few are pictured here. Check out the rest and see what they have to say!
View All Blogs
Do you want to become a Community Blogger? LivingLakeCountry.com welcomes your thoughts and opinions. Contact us for more information:
I want to blog